Very Angry!

WinterWishes

Oct 24, 2008
First of all, I appologise that this is my first thread + i'm already having a *rant*
So; to start, Hello Everyone + what a lovely forum this appears to be!:)

Anyway. Here goes.

I started my new job two months ago now + they're already taking the y'know. i've always been the muggins that feels too bad to reject over time when asked face to face because they "sooo desperately" need me to do it. At the moment, after them chucking two colleagues, there is only two of us and a LOT of work, so often we work 7-6 onward with no lunch break when my contracted hours are supposed to be part time 8-12! I know, i know, call me the fool for not putting my foot down but all i had my set on was Think of the money, + my horsey dreams were getting closer. So month one goes by and i dont get paid. Why? "Handed your bank details in too late." Oh, ok, my bad. Month two comes, expecting a bomb of a wage packet, two months worth + all my over time. No, it's not right. I've only got one months worth of pay with NO over time included. I was told my minimum wage was £4.80 an hour, but have even been paid LESS than this, left only in the £200's after i had been taxed like a bit...yknow.

I was talking to a collegue who said i should have been expecting atleast £800 as my minimum wage is supposed to be £384 for just working the 8-12! I feel so angry and cheated, i cannot even afford topay my boyfriends mum two months rent, AND afford to make my way to work with what i have been given!

So, yet again, dreams of owning my own horse slip further and further away, and i am left upset, cheated and counting my 1p's.

On monday i plan to march into the managers office and tell them it is unacceptable but in a manner that will actually tell them I MEAN BUSINESS! i think it will all end in more disappointment and tears on my part, unfortunately.

Point of this thread:
Not sure, but if someone could
1. Employ me and pay me millions:p
2. Hit me with their Lucky Stick
then i would be very happy:D

reading between the lines the company sounds as if it is in financial trouble and may go bust - to lay off staff, expect others to do more work - false economy if they are having to pay overtime - and then not pay on time are classic signs of cash flow problems.

if i were you i would be looking for somewhere else. give them a breakdown of the hours you have worked and ask them to explain the payslip etc. if you don't get a satisfactory answer, you could try the local jobcentre to see if someone can help you out regarding what you should have been paid etc.

i can see how the hours may not have been put in for one pay run but beyond that is a nonsense and probably more a sign that they are short of money.

the only other thing that could explain it is if they have you on an emergency tax code and you are paying more tax than you should be doing. if you ring the tax office they would be able to tell you if you are on the correct coding or an emergency one.

well now you say it people have said that the company is the worst in the area right now.

the only problem with getting a new job is that it is so close to christmas:(

i was told by a friend that if they cannot give me my wages for the hours i have worked they can just offer me holiday instead - why i was not told this before i started i do not know as im sure i would not have agreed to it.

im 16, just left school, + this being my first proper job has not been a good experience!

thanks for answering:)

A rant as a first post, you're a person after my own heart! :D

Beware of this company. Look for something else and in the meantime speak to somebody in management but do so calmly ;)

I can understand your anger and fraustration but ask questions, let them do the talking and explaining and then come out of there and think of your next step before you shoot your mouth off and say something you regret. I only say it like this because I'm a hot head too and often say things on the spur of the mement only to think 5 mins down the line that I would have had a better result dealing with it in a different way.

My advice would be to keep working your job, limit your hours to those contracted if you must but keep the boss relatively happy because you'll need a reference for your next job. :)

If you have paid emergency tax it is paid at a far higher rate than the standard tax rate,but given you are supposedly working part time hours and have not been paid for the overtime you have done you should not have been taxed at all as your wage would be below the amount that is taxable. I suggest you get in touch with the local tax office.They should be able to confirm whether this tax has been paid and why you have had to pay so much. Once you have done that you can contact the employer and ask them about your wage. It really doesn't sound to me as though they are paying you quite right here. When I was 16 I worked at a racing yard for a well known trainer.I was supposed to be getting paid a small wage and was meant to be a yts student.A month down the line after not being paid for 3 weeks I started to query why I wasn't getting paid.I confronted the trainer and it turned out that he owed money all over the place.I did get my money and quit there and then.A month later he did a runner owing money all over the place and leaving his head lad and a couple of other lads without a job or money to live on.

this is what i am afraid of happening. they may be deducting paye and ni from you wages, on a wrong tax code, but may also not be paying this money to PAYE/NI and will then go bust owing HMRC loads of money - if they do I think there is a scheme that may protect your earnings.

I would get some advice from either Citizens Advice or just go along to your local job centre and ask them to help.

They CANNOT give you holiday in lieu of wages unless this was agreed with you before you work the hours. As you are a new employee you would not have earned any holidays till now, apart from a few days, so if you wanted to take a holiday it would be as unpaid leave, so this may be what they are offering i.e. over xmas but it all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

If you have just started work then you wouldn't be paying tax and NI anyway as you wouldn't have reached the minimum tax threshold of £5525 at which point you begin to pay tax on earnings above that.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about a reference, if you document that you had to get advice as you weren't being paid etc then a new employer if they are honest would not worry about that.

well now you say it people have said that the company is the worst in the area right now.

the only problem with getting a new job is that it is so close to christmas:(

i was told by a friend that if they cannot give me my wages for the hours i have worked they can just offer me holiday instead - why i was not told this before i started i do not know as im sure i would not have agreed to it.

im 16, just left school, + this being my first proper job has not been a good experience!

thanks for answering:)

for a start the minimum wages is £5.75 or there abouts, my son is 16 1/2 and applied for a job in game shop recently, thats what he was told he would get, what you quoted is wrong! Id look into that, ring trhe job centre and ask them they will put you straight or the CAB will tell you better!
Id look for something else too, your work, you get paid, end of, unless as you say you didnt give your details in on time, but after that, your due what you earn!
good luck

for a start the minimum wages is £5.75 or there abouts, my son is 16 1/2 and applied for a job in game shop recently, thats what he was told he would get, what you quoted is wrong! Id look into that, ring trhe job centre and ask them they will put you straight or the CAB will tell you better!
Id look for something else too, your work, you get paid, end of, unless as you say you didnt give your details in on time, but after that, your due what you earn!
good luck

The national minimum wage for someone in the UK under the age of 22 is actually only

£5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
£3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

echo summercandy - £5.73 is minimum wage for 22yo+

SOME companies pay that minimum wage to all employees regardless of age/to staff aged 18yo+

Its a difficult one. Our overtime/extra time is paid two weeks behind so if i were you i'd double check how your wages, including overtime are calculated. Sit down and talk to a manager- say you don't understand how your wage has been worked out and you expected more. If they try and fob you off with some rubbish excuse then go to CAB or find the union for what you are doing and get in contact with them. They can't give you holidays instead of pay for that amount of time i'm sure, its more like a time owed type thing - full time staff in my work get that but i don't know how it works, think odd extra hours here and there add up to a half day/full day/leave early arrangement!!!

Hope you get this sorted out, i've had a few problems with pay and hours in my work so i can understand how you are feeling. :(

Legally if they require you to work for more than 6hrs they have to give you a 20 minute break (working time regulations).

It may be worth taking the advice of ACAS who can advise on employment issues they are on 08457 474747.

There is of course (as always) a health and safety aspect to this, your employer has to exercise a duty of care towards you as an employee and they must risk assess all aspects of your job, including long hours, the effect on you of long hours and lack of breaks, subsequent to the risk assessment they have to look at the risks identified and as far as is reasonably practicable eliminate or minimise the risks to your health.

At this time of year there are plenty of shop jobs being advertised - OK so it is probably not when you do normally but it is something to fall back onto if they do not sort out your back pay issues quickly.

The national minimum wage for someone in the UK under the age of 22 is actually only

£5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
£3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

I had a company try to employ me for 3.30 an hour doing silver service!!!

Hope you get it all sorted OP!

my son must have been quoted wrong or he picked it up wrong!!
picked it up wrong is prob most likey, as he never listens!:eek:

HJ&Katie is right - this is a GOOD time of year to get a 'shop' job - places like M&S, Sainsbury's etc all need temporary people over christmas time and they pay well. You may even end up with a permanent job until you find something you really like. It is worth looking about now.

You will also get paid overtime (which is normally time and a half), unsocial hours etc. You will probably find that for a few hours work a day you are earning more in a week than you would in a month in your current job!

Best of luck whatever you do!

Do what I can't do for the next few years... change jobs1!!!

There is no way they should treat you like this. Where are your parents?? If you were my mum's daughter (or mine for that matter), those people would have heard a lot of sh*t already... ;)

Do what I can't do for the next few years... change jobs1!!!

There is no way they should treat you like this. Where are your parents?? If you were my mum's daughter (or mine for that matter), those people would have heard a lot of sh*t already... ;)

I don't live at home,+ so i don't have the support of my parents. :(

--

i talked to my manager who "tried" to sort it out,+ i should receive the pay in a few days. however what she quoted was a lot lower than expected so i'm just gonna hand my notice in as soon as i can get another job.

thank you everybody

I would still speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. To be honest it sounds like you'll get just as much money if you sign on and look for another job! I'm sorry your first experience of the work place has been so bad! Good luck in the future with your horsey dreams and jobs!

sounds like we are working for the same people!!! They recruited me, saying my wage would be £5.73/hour...I thought it wasnt great, but they promised after 3 months itd go up...so I agreed, and they handed me a written offer of employment stating that I would be paid £5.73....2 weeks later they told me I didnt qualify for that pay, so they are putting me down to £4.75!!! Fair enough im 21 (22 in march), but they cannot just cut my AGREED pay just like that!!!!

I told them it wasnt fair (as nicely as I could), and asked if the manager could talk to the owners....She said she would, but 1 week later, nothing. then the next week she asked me to go in with 30 mins notice, I did, but I asked again about pay. she said theyed booked a meeting for the following week. Well the owners were just outside, and I said I wouldnt be prepared to work the weekend, and then find out on monday whether or not I was getting the original AGREED wage. I was NOT going to work!

The manager went outside to have a chat with the owners - 45 mins later she comes in saying I could have the original £5.73/hour wage - but she wasnt happy, and the owners certainly werent....and they let me know that!

When I got my pay slip, theyed over paid me by £6...so I told my manager straight away - she sternly told me that there was "no pleasing me - im always complaining"...I let her know that I just didnt want to be seen taking advantage.

I get paid weekly, but since the original "incident", I havent been paid the correct amount - im now owed over £40!!!! (it may not seem like much, but if they carry on underpaying me, who knows how much they will owe me by the end of the year?)

On top of that, there is a girl who is best friends with the boss...she is getting paid more than me - but she isnt actually working! She sits down stairs with a drink, chatting to the boss!!! Im happy to do the job myself, on my own, but NOT when there is another girl who is getting paid more than me to do NOTHING!!! She comes upstairs once in a while to DELEGATE! SHE TELLS ME WAHT TO DO!!! WHY DO THAT WHEN IM DOING IT ALL FOR HER ANYWAY- AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHGHHH! Aparently she isnt allowed to do what im doing - running up and downstairs, meeting and greeting, serving and cleaning etc because shes pregnant....but shes only 6 1/2 WEEKS pregnant - basically shes missed a period! What she gonna be like when shes 8 months pregnant???

I honestly lke working -I like having something to do, something to keep me occupied, and I am very willing to try my hardest! I am also a bit of a perfectionist, so I wont skimp on tasks either - even if they have to be done pronto! However, Im always being told to do things - even when im in the middle of doing what theyd previously asked me to do, I have to drop it to do something else, then I get in to trouble for lord knows what!!! They are seriously under staffed, and Im the one whos cobvering everyone elses shifts - so they really ought to looks after me better - Ive been called in with 30 mins notice I dont know how many times! And, When I try to talk to them about my pay, or how trhey are treating me, they make me feel like they are doing me a favour!!! (I dont need the money that much - my hubbys got a good job, I can afford another few months off work if I really wanted!). I hate it when they make me feel like im the one in the wrong when Im defending my rights! Its NOT GOOD OF THEM AND I WILL BE TAKING THINGS FURTHER SOON ENOUGH - EVEN IF I HAVE TO WALK OUT ON THEM MID SHIFT!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!
Sorry to hijack your thread - but it feels good to have got that off my chest! I know how you feel sweetheart - hang on in there!!!

Last edited:
Since I hijacked this thread earlier today, I thought Id carry on....just to let you all know Ive just been fired!

My boss said she didnt have to give me any reasons, but when I pushed, she said "Paul (the owners husband) asked me a question, and I didnt know the answer" - how useless is that for a reason to fire someone!? It was only a waitressing/bar tending job for crying out loud!

I think it has more to do with the fact that I mentioned (on a few occasions) that they had not been paying me the correct amount...and also they are trying to cut back on expendatures becuase no one has been in the restaurant during the lunch time hours!

They are soooo in the wrong to do that! It was only sunday (get mondays off) that the cheffs were saying they were going to speak to the owners because they thought it was unfare that other waitresses were NOT doing any work, and that I was overstretched trying to get it all done for them!

What a cheek.

newrider.com