Vet came to see Bella

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
Bella had her check over by the vet yesterday, it's the first time we've used this vet and he seemed very kind and professional. He gave her a really good look over and said that while she is in particularly poor condition she is healthy. So that was good news!

The little lady starts her worming today, we're doing a 5 day panacur guard and a syringe 10 days after this. I'm hoping that she'll then be ok to go out with my other two, although we will have to do grazing for short periods in hand at first as our grass is very good so don't want to overload her system.

That is great news, was it the older or younger man that came? They are father and son. The younger one is lovely, Ben the dad is old fashioned. lol

Glad everything is ok, just need the farrier now! :wink:

I'm interested to know what syringe she will have to have in ten days, please?

It was Ben that came out, he was very kind with her, he suggested using something like Equest as the syringe but this is known for not being very good for underweight horses and can have some nasty side effects.

The main reason for using the syringe is just to use a different drug so I'm looking up what other syringes target the same worms (Equest only really targets redworm according to its label) and there are a few out there that do the same thing so I might use one of those instead ;)

Doh!
doh01.gif
I just had a "senior moment" and didn't relate "syringe" to what I think of as a standard wormer like Equest :redface::redface::redface:

Stoopid Jane!

NOW I get it :giggle:

Equest also kills Bots and Roundworm.

The active ingredient in Equest ('Moxidectin') is 1 of only 2 active ingredients that will not only kill small redworm, but will also kill the encysted and inhibited redworm (these are bad little blighters).

The only other that will kill the redworm is 'Fenbendazolen' which is the active ingredient in the "Panacur Equine Guard" (the 5 day wormer). There has been some resistance to panacur equine guard though .... in certain area`s of the UK. But the 5 day is definitely the kinder one to use to start with.

I only know all this as i sadly lost my boy (2yrs old) early this year due to severe worm burden/worm damage, and awful damage to his bowel (the coloured in my signature) ... I had to do a lot of research into the different wormers, what works, what doesn`t, what is best for each type of worm and each season.

I found this website very very helpful:

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/annualprogramme.html

At the moment i use Equi-max tablets at the end of the summer grazing season (just done them this week) ... Then after the first hard frost i do Equest (green and gold) and Equi-tape, and then coming into spring, just before i move them up to the summer fields again, i do them again with the Equest (green and gold) and the Equi-tape. Thats 1 years worth, then i worm count and see where we are.

Sadly my problems where caused when i took on some new grazing that had a high worm burden on it, and the youngster hadn`t had a proper worming routine, had been done with Panacur Equine Guard before i got him (again there can be some resisitance to it) ... It was just our bad luck.

I don`t think you`ll have any of these problems at all. Can`t wait to see the pictures as when she picks up, she`s such a beautiful little lady x

Thanks Daisysp8, lots of really useful info!! I'm finding I'm emersing myself in all things worming at the moment!

Am really sorry to hear you lost your boy, that really is awful. I'm lucky that our fields have been left ungrazed for almost a year, both of my two have been consistently worm counted over the last two years aswell and this has always come back with a no count shown. I need to find out if my new vets do a worm count service as do prefer this method then worming when necessary. I'd quite like a worm count done on her before she goes out on the fields, if she's still high, then I can keep her in the school.

This little girl does have quite a dropped tum and the vet agreed that she looked pretty wormy, sounds gross but I'll be interested to see what her droppings look like tomorrow as she had her first dose today.

It does sound like you won`t have any trouble at all. Your ground is well rested and the worm counts are coming back good, so yes, if you keep on top of her worming and poo collecting over the next couple of months you should easily keep on top of it. I never knew so much about worms until this happened to me.

I found out afterwards (too little, too late) there had been rspca investigated horses, with high worm burdens, left to graze, (with no poo-picking), on the land i then went on to rent.

Before i`d moved on it had been harrowed and left for a few weeks, and then i moved my 2 on.

Those fields now have been well rested, and had the very harsh winter, and a this winter to come, so by next year they`ll be ready to be used again properly, and obviously with the worming and the worm counts i`m on top of it now for my 2. It was a hard way to learn about it all though. The only consolation i have, is that i have just found out this person has been charged with 13 counts of cruelty regarding the wormed burden, skinny horses in her care .. we`ll see what happens in court.

Equest also kills Bots and Roundworm.

The active ingredient in Equest ('Moxidectin') is 1 of only 2 active ingredients that will not only kill small redworm, but will also kill the encysted and inhibited redworm (these are bad little blighters).

The only other that will kill the redworm is 'Fenbendazolen' which is the active ingredient in the "Panacur Equine Guard" (the 5 day wormer). There has been some resistance to panacur equine guard though .... in certain area`s of the UK. But the 5 day is definitely the kinder one to use to start with.

I only know all this as i sadly lost my boy (2yrs old) early this year due to severe worm burden/worm damage, and awful damage to his bowel (the coloured in my signature) ... I had to do a lot of research into the different wormers, what works, what doesn`t, what is best for each type of worm and each season.

I found this website very very helpful:

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/annualprogramme.html

At the moment i use Equi-max tablets at the end of the summer grazing season (just done them this week) ... Then after the first hard frost i do Equest (green and gold) and Equi-tape, and then coming into spring, just before i move them up to the summer fields again, i do them again with the Equest (green and gold) and the Equi-tape. Thats 1 years worth, then i worm count and see where we are.

Sadly my problems where caused when i took on some new grazing that had a high worm burden on it, and the youngster hadn`t had a proper worming routine, had been done with Panacur Equine Guard before i got him (again there can be some resisitance to it) ... It was just our bad luck.

I don`t think you`ll have any of these problems at all. Can`t wait to see the pictures as when she picks up, she`s such a beautiful little lady x

I know this feeling well when i nearly lost an old horse of mine. He has a heavy worm burden when i bought him and as a result ended up with damaged insides. I spent many a night in a cold stable with him willing him to get up. Luckily he did get up but was on medication for a very long time.

So sorry to hear that you lost your boy to it, terrible things worms and that is why i religiously stay on top of it now.

newrider.com