Vet is coming - wish me luck! UPDATED

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well today I will hopefully find out what is causing madam's intermittent lameness. Plus they are both having jabs (cue much sulking when that's been done!). It's really praying on my mind, so much so I've been having bad dreams. Last night she was loaded up in a lorry but nobody would tell me where she was going! It was awful - frustrating. So any spare good vibes would be most welcome. I am really hoping it will not mean months of no riding / field turnout. She needs the exercise for her weight and so do I!lol

Well boo hiss. She's damaged her suspensory. Ba. The cold hosing I'd done was the right thing to do as was keeping her on the flat. We had a good chat about the way forward and it's just time and staying on the flat - so no turnout for a long time, bar into the arena and yard. It is most likely she damaged it on the slope leading to the main field - so that won't be getting used anytime soon!
He didn't think scanning was necessary at this stage as although it would show the extent, it won't fix it and the treatment will be the same. I'm happy with that and we're going to review it in a few weeks - we might scan at that point. I've to trot her up once a week and see how she is going. And also he showed me some ways to check the leg and some simple flexes that will give an indication of how things are progressing.
Bit of a blow in some ways as we were just getting back into the groove riding wise, plus the exercise is needed for her. But I can't complain about not having anything to ride for a few months as OH hasn't had a ridden horse for almost four years! Still, bit fed up but there you go. So long as she's comfortable and okay that's what matters. I will be extra cautious because of what happened with J - eventually his fetlock collapsed and it was a poor outcome. But, he did have very poor conformation which was a major contributing factor to his demise.
So, in hand walks about the school here we come! No field turnout for a few weeks at least - and then the usual tiny paddock on the flattest part. I did ask the question about travel - he said that should be fine (as we are moving at some point!).

Awww Trewsers, so sorry to read that, not what any of us want to hear is it. I'm sure with your careful attention and a bit of time off she'll come good again, lots of healing vibes coming Storm's way and big virtual hugs for you ((Hugs)) x

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh bugger, well hopefully you caught it quickly before too much damage was done and she will heal just as quickly, healing vies coming her way :)

Oh and just had another bad thought: what if I forget how to ride?! lol Its going to be a long stretch!!! Keep telling OH we should invest in a mechanical horse....

I am sorry to be reading this.
I don't know what your ideas are on alternatives but I have a pair of magnetic pastern wraps that could be in the post to you if you any use.

The flat paddock question, well my county isn't flat. We spent an extra few weeks on the flat waiting for the land to be dry enough.
We did total box rest for one month, then part of school and Inhand for the next. Scans only show extent, treatment is the same. What you actually want to see is improvement.
Hugs x

I am sorry to be reading this.
I don't know what your ideas are on alternatives but I have a pair of magnetic pastern wraps that could be in the post to you if you any use.

The flat paddock question, well my county isn't flat. We spent an extra few weeks on the flat waiting for the land to be dry enough.
We did total box rest for one month, then part of school and Inhand for the next. Scans only show extent, treatment is the same. What you actually want to see is improvement.
Hugs x

I mentioned magnetic wraps to the vet - he said there was no proof that they did help healing faster, but, no harm in trying them. But he did say that I should wait in case it made the area hotter? Are your wraps ones that go up to the knee?
He also mentioned shock wave therapy but the cost of that is huge - plus it would mean horspital visits and atm I've no box (OH is thinking we ought to invest in a small lorry rather than a new car at some point).

Sorry ! What a numpty I am! Just googled pastern wraps and they are just round the pastern (doh)
You can get full boots can't you? How would the pastern wraps help? Did they do Tilley good then?

Pastern only. I got it because her injury was in the hoof. Though I waited to let her body sort itself as much as possible first.
Vets are trained in medicine thats needs to see or not see results.That's great its what's a scan does, show an image. I am trained in things a little different.

In my case it just helped the circulation while stuck in a stable not moving. I only popped on for an hour as and when I though to. Did they help, who knows.

The idea with magnets is to increase blood circulation, so you dont actually need them to be on the point of injury as blood flow increased in one area will increase it all over the body, so I kept bo's on all the time but switched it to a different leg each day so it didnt rub or overheat an area too much. I do think it helps a bit, but wont hurt so why not :D

I feel a bit badly done to as it isn't that bad a slope - guess it was just unlucky for her on that particular day. Typical though just as the weather is improving here. All winter she's been fine on it (the slope that is). Maybe the mud played a part too with being slippy? I just can't help wondering how everyone elses horses survive - on a yard there is sometimes a big herd and I know how they can all play the fool!

The leg is the most vulnerable based on what they carry. Horses do injure themselves.

What I feel is a shame, is people like you Trewsers who care loads have crap happen, then we have those who don't give a bleeping fig who appear to be unaffected. Unless they don't notice.
I recall having equine herpes in the area and heard a woman say if hers got it it would "do her a favour" I was livid.

newrider.com