Vet visit today

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
So after some weird sneezing and behaviour, I took Bree into the vet hospital in Aberdeen this morn. I knew if I got the local vet out they’d not have the equipment to look very closely and i’m glad I took her in as we ended up being there all morning!

First off, she has a respiratory ‘thing’ going on. Very swollen airways but at this point in time they aren’t sure if it’s a cold or an allergy. The vet also identified that some of her issues may be being caused by her wolf teeth , which were wobbly. She only had her teeth done 5 weeks ago and he EDT didn’t think they were causing much problem. So they got removed but it wasn’t a straight forward procedure - the vet thought they’d just whip out quickly but 1 of them was a wee devil and splintered.. leaving a tiny bit left in her gum that after 2 1/2 hours of sedation they said they would have to leave but assured me it would heal over fine and probably work it’s way out in the future.

As if this wasn’t enough for the poor girl, while they had the scope out anyway they scoped her for ulcers as she also been quite grumpy, biting at odd things (buckets, rugs that are hung up, doors, me!) and sensitive round her abdomen area. She also objects to our leg going too far back behind the girth. It was a very interesting thing to watch and it turns out she does have ulcers, but just grade 1. I could see them clearly on the screen and the area around them was very yellow and thickened. In answer to Wally’s question on the other thread, yes she is a stressy type but Ive no idea if it’s related. Since Ive had her she’s lived out with access to hay and is fed a small scoop of fast fibre so Im not doing anything to have caused them, although the vet is going to email me some more info about adding oils to the feed etc.

Poor girl will be getting some TLC for the rest of the day :(

Oh wow what a day for her! It is interesting about the ulcers and the scope. She will be a tired horse now? I know we had Storm done and sedated (vet wasn't looking for ulcers it was when she was really ill a few years back and they suspected a growth). I've heard teeth can be hard to get out, but hopefully the bit left behind will as you say work it's way out. Lots of vibes for her being okay after her hopsital visit.

Blimey, what's the prescribed treatment? Had she lost weight or was it just her mardiness that alerted you?

She’s got 2 months worth of ulcer meds home with her (the name escapes me right now) and Danilon for a few days. Tbh my main reason for the visit was her sneezing as she’d been almost unridable with it earlier in the week. Id also mentioned to them that her behaviour had been a bit off and grumpy and they said since they had the scope in anyway they’d be as well checking.

Its good that you've got some answers, have they put her on anything for the airways? Hopefully the ulscers settle quickly.

... actually, no , they haven’t. The vet mentioned wanting to give her steriods but couldnt because of other meds already given. She has danilon and Ive to call them after the weekend with an update at which point they would come out and give her a steroid shot if she’s no better.

Aww bless. sounds like you both have had a hard day! I know when my boy got scoped I was pleased I could watch as I too found it very interesting.

Well I am pleased to hear it is nothing that bad but I know to you it probably feels like a lot worse. I read a sat on a vets website about the amount of leisure horses that have ulcers it was quite a large amount so not always to do with stress levels and competing

newrider.com