Vets, abscesses & your experiences..

me_n_super_abby

Mar 14, 2009
On a farm
..in the title really. Abby's re-current abscess (always pops up in wet weather, must be a weak spot as) :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Getting vet tomorrow.

If you have had the vet for a hoof abscess, what did they do and what worked?

Just curious for your experiences really :unsure:

This what im worried about! I dont want them to just come and dig a massive hole. But she needs something doing!

What are peoples experiences with anti-biotics? I know some say they dont work due to lack of vascular structure to the hoof, any experiences?

I would get the farrier to deal with it too. Vets in my experience tend to dig about a bit more and you are left with a bigger than necessary hole.
Antibiotics seem to cause reoccurring abscesses I think, just drags the process out.
I tend to tub and wet poultice after the farrier has dug it out for a few days then dry poultice and keep covered, when the hole is dry I stuff with beeswax.

I didn't have a farrier when my horse got an abscess last year and had no choice but to use the vet. He was walking lame on the Friday, got worse over the weekend and by the Monday when the vet came, my horse was lying on his side in the field and refused to move. Vet had to dig around and pierced a hole which got it all out. To be honest it was all very business like and over in half an hour. The relief was immediate and glad the vet came when he did. Took three weeks to heal but that was more to do with our hoof lifting issues at the time, it was painful trying to keep it clean and I lost quite a few leadropes in the process.
Feel for you, good luck.

newrider.com