Vetting Older Horses

nicolawx

Legends Never Die
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
www.youtube.com
Is it reasonable for me to want to get a 17yr old horse vetted?
As some of you know i'm looking at an older horse and yesterday i emailed them asking that if i did like him, would it be ok to get him vetted, only a 2 stage.
Now i'm not in contact with the acctual owner, i've been emailing a woman who's selling the horse on behalf of the owner.
And she thinks that there wouldn't be a point vetting him as he's only £1000 plus she thinks it may cause stiffness :confused:
I've never heard of a vetting causing a horse to become stiff :confused:
Is it really that unheard of to get an older horse vetted?
Confused me now as it's my first horse, all was going well, until i mention a vetting :confused:
She doesn't think the owner would have a problem, but doesn't think it's worth it because of his price :confused:
IMO it's worth it, as i don't want to buy a horse then find out it has numerous problems, that would of been picked up on in a vetting!

Is it reasonable for me to want to get a 17yr old horse vetted?
(....)
IMO it's worth it, as i don't want to buy a horse then find out it has numerous problems, that would of been picked up on in a vetting!

Very reasonable !
Go with your gut feeling. I never trust an seller who says "oh, I'm not against it, but why waste your money".
It's not just the horse's purchase price that comes into the equation - once he's yours you're the one who pays the vet bills after all - and his daily upkeep. Not to mention the emotional investment.
Play it safe, better to "waste" some money and end up without the horse because he failed the vetting than not to have spent it and end up with an unrideable horse costing you a fortune.

Fingers crossed for you.

Very reasonable !
Go with your gut feeling. I never trust an seller who says "oh, I'm not against it, but why waste your money".
It's not just the horse's purchase price that comes into the equation - once he's yours you're the one who pays the vet bills after all - and his daily upkeep. Not to mention the emotional investment.
Play it safe, better to "waste" some money and end up without the horse because he failed the vetting than not to have spent it and end up with an unrideable horse costing you a fortune.

Fingers crossed for you.

I thought so too, but now it's putting me off them, as we first arranged to go and see him on Sunday, not figured out times or anything but now she's told me that she is going to have to ask the owner first as she doesn't agree with me wanting a vetting done :confused:
He sounds perfect, but her saying she's worried he will go stiff from a vetting makes me think maybe he already is stiff and just wants to sell him to someone who won't get a vetting.
I'm not going to run away just yet, hopefully the owner is ok with getting him vetted.

Maybe she knows there's something wrong and doesn't want it brought to light, or maybe she's genuine & just doesn't want him pulled about. Speak to the vet and explain it's an older horse - the vet obviously needs to bare this in mind as I doubt there's many horses of 17 that would pass a full blown 5 stage vetting! If the vet agrees he will just do a vetting suitable for the horses age and ability (preferably without flexion tests) you may be able to put the owner's mind at rest. If she still won't agree to it I'd just walk away I'm afraid :eek:.

Last edited:
She may be worried about the flexion tests causing stiffness. Depending upon the vet, they can be quite harsh, but I wouldn't imagine them causing any lasting stiffness (ie more than a few hours). I wonder if this is the issue here? A lot of people (and some vets) disagree strongly with the flexion tests, so this may be what she's worried about.

I personally wouldn't go for a vetting for a horse at that age/price, but if it seems right to you then definately do it. Trust your instincts!

She may be worried about the flexion tests causing stiffness. Depending upon the vet, they can be quite harsh, but I wouldn't imagine them causing any lasting stiffness (ie more than a few hours). I wonder if this is the issue here? A lot of people (and some vets) disagree strongly with the flexion tests, so this may be what she's worried about.

I personally wouldn't go for a vetting for a horse at that age/price, but if it seems right to you then definately do it. Trust your instincts!

I guess that probably is what she's worried about, i only want a 2 stage done, only for piece of mind that i know there isn't anything wrong with him and i end up with a horse that useless, plus it's my first horse so i'm a little apprehensive.

Would it not affect the insurance if you don't get it vetted.

I suppose it depends how i feel with him when i ride him as to weather it's worth a vetting as all i'll be doing is hacking, so is a full blown flexion test going to be worth it?

I agree. I don't think it would affect your insurance - try ringing round for quotes to see who'll insure one that age without a vetting.

Oh btw - steer clear of EML for insurance, they're not very good. Petplan and NFU always seem to be rated quite highly on here - I can vouch for Petplan they're brill.

How exciting for you to be getting your first horse and he sounds lovely. You know we'll be needing pics as soon as the deal's done, right?

I would certainly have a vetting and it's all very well saying that he's a reasonably inexpensive horse, but that isn't always the point. You get him home, you fall in love with him, you find he has something dreadful and that the treatment is going to cost you a fortune. Yeah, you can very quickly dent a hole in another £1000 with vets bills on a horse. Sure, it doesn't cover all bases, for it has to be worth a 2 stage in my opinion.

I agree. I don't think it would affect your insurance - try ringing round for quotes to see who'll insure one that age without a vetting.

Oh btw - steer clear of EML for insurance, they're not very good. Petplan and NFU always seem to be rated quite highly on here - I can vouch for Petplan they're brill.

How exciting for you to be getting your first horse and he sounds lovely. You know we'll be needing pics as soon as the deal's done, right?

I've got a few online quotes from petplan and they were very good, none of the questions asked if the horse was vetted, so i guess it doesn't matter to them.
Oh i will not touch E&L with a barge pole after all the stories i've heard! :eek:
Yeah, i can't wait, i just hope he's what i'm after :)
Pictures will be a must, as soon as he's home i'll post some pictures :D

Get him vetted. I was in the process of purchasing a "15" yo last week that turned out to be at least 20 and full of melanomas.. I wouldn't part with a dime without at least getting him looked over.

I would certainly have a vetting and it's all very well saying that he's a reasonably inexpensive horse, but that isn't always the point. You get him home, you fall in love with him, you find he has something dreadful and that the treatment is going to cost you a fortune. Yeah, you can very quickly dent a hole in another £1000 with vets bills on a horse. Sure, it doesn't cover all bases, for it has to be worth a 2 stage in my opinion.

This sums up what I was going to see precisely. Am a veteran when it comes to the older horse and it's amazing how much you can spend just keeping them comfortable. Definitely better to have it vetted so you know a bit more about what you are letting yourself in for. I wouldn't touch it if the owner refuses to let you have the vet see it. Hope it all works out for you and you end up with the perfect first horse.

If you decide not to get him vetted do you have someone VERY experienced to go with you when you look at him, to at least make sure he's 100% sound? Personally, I would get the vet to check him over - it's not just lameness issues, it's things like heart, lungs, eyes etc. He's your first horse - you don't want to have him 3 weeks or so and then discover there's a major problem.

I would have him vetted. Even though he is relatively cheap, as others have said a few hundred quid for a 2 stage (I think Sams was £180) would be worth it to rule out any major issues I may not spot. I would also be naturally suspicious of thier reluctance, its very easy to 'loose' a few years from horses age!
Vets will give you a recomendation based on what you want the horse for, even if they do a 5 stage.
Hope it all goes well for you and your potential new horsey!

I would totally go for a vetting. Maybe if you let her know that you expect some stiffness in an older horse, but want to get an idea of what issues can be identified on the day. She might fear he'll "fail" and that will be the end of her selling him.

I bought a 15 yr old horse for $500 and I still had a simple vetting (probably equivalent to a 2-stage), which cost me (IIRC) around $200. He told me she was sound, but to expect future issues with her hocks (which was spot on). I bought her anyway, and yes some treatments have been required, but there were no surprises and we're still riding (3 years + later) with every expectation of continuing to do so.

I'd get him vetted, but not a 5*. Instead I'd speak to the vet & ask for a 2* plus get him to look at any areas of specific concern (is this the horse with the old stifle injury?). If the seller isn't happy with this then walk away, if she thinks a 2* vetting is going to cripple him then he isn't up to what you want anyway.

Definately get him vetted. ESPECIALLY an older horse - as others have said, there could be many vets bills waiting for you when you get him home!

If the seller doesn't agree with a vetting, walk away. There are loads of good older horses out there without taking any risk. Horses are expensive enough to keep as it is.

Not to mention the time they take up - which will be trebled if you have a problem where the horse needs box rest or particular treatment.

I'd get him vetted, but not a 5*. Instead I'd speak to the vet & ask for a 2* plus get him to look at any areas of specific concern (is this the horse with the old stifle injury?). If the seller isn't happy with this then walk away, if she thinks a 2* vetting is going to cripple him then he isn't up to what you want anyway.

It isn't the one with the stifle injury no, i decided to stear clear of that one.
I've been in contact with a woman who is selling the horse on behalf of the owners wife, as the owner sadly passed away :(
And she said she'll have to ask the owner first, even before i could come and see him because she doesn't agree with getting him vetted, which shocked me the most, i don't know why she'd object, shes a knowledgeable horse woman, who presumably wouldn't want someone to buy a horse that could end up with numerous problems :confused:

Don't confuse knowledgeable with well intentioned! There are some very knowledgeable people out there whose only aim is to sell horses regardless of whether they're healthy or suitable for the buyer.

newrider.com