Vibes for Kia

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Well our first ouchie for a good long while but the old guy has come in with facial swelling, a fat lip, struggling to eat along one side despite still having a good go at it and is not happy for mum to look even with a twitch and help :(

Called the vets who have advised two bute and to check him tomorrow morning, if still swollen and sore then they will come out mid morning :( only problem is I can't be there :( I have to work and I can't be near the yard as my beat is in Glasgow tomorrow :(

Hoping he's just given himself a rap on something or rough play the the other gelding :(

Any chance he has been stung by a bee or wasp? Mare on the yard came in with a huge swollen lip and nose, vet gave her bute and had completely gone down 2 days later.

Hope he's looking better tomorrow

Pics

Probably won't look as swollen as it is but took them anyway.

Not happy

Lower nose close up

Other side close up

3/4 from right

Sore side close up

More face sore side close up

3/4 close from left

Swollen right nostril

Not impressed Mum

Gorgeous boy giving a little pose

Thanks everyone!

His face is still hard and warm and swollen, vet was out and had s good look and thinks he's either been stung by something rather nasty or he has tried to eat something that really hasn't agreed with him.

So he has had a big shot of painkiller and steroids to try and bring the swelling down. His soft palate and gums are all swollen as well as his muzzle and lips, vet had a good look at him, his teeth and tongue are all fine so that's a good thing.

As of today though I have cancelled my insurance for Kia. I will take out BHS gold membership and just stick the £25 I pay for Kia's insurance aside as despite how good KBIS have been over the years with my horses I am very disappointed with the policy I have. I called to see what would be covered in case he had been kicked and had broken teeth or his face, I was under the impression I had accidental AND violent injury cover, what the terms were accidental violent EXTERNAL injuries only, so basically unless he had a wound that required stitches or had an obvious external wound he wouldn't be covered for anything, even if he broke a leg. I asked if he broke a leg in a rabbit hole in the field would I have cover to have the necessaries done IE pain relief and PTS and was told it would be up to the underwriters, but unless there was a violent injury then no. I was disgusted. So for the first time in many years I'm finding my horse uninsured, being honest there isn't much I would put him through at his age either, but if I had realised this five years ago when the policy changed the I would have had over 1k in the bank for him for things like this in the premiums I have paid. I haven't claimed on his insurance.

Never mind live and learn :) I'm taking out BHS gold today and I have transferred some fund into an acct for him, joys of veteran horses but I'd have rathered having that money there for him than ploughing it into a company, yes I may have misconstrued the insurance cover but had this been properly explained when I called years ago to check the insurance when it changed over I probably wouldn't have bothered with it. So from now on if I have another horse after he passes I will probably not bother with insurance and just have a pot sitting for it, never thought I would be saying this, always been an advocate for insurance and quite disparaging of those who don't but now I see the other side and I can agree with it. £89 for a check up, tentative diagnosis and an injection with no aftercare given, just as well I love the old monster as I nearly choked on my lunch when the vet called ;) :D

Last edited:
Oo healing vibes coming his way :)

I totally understand your position on the insurance, jess has so much excluded now I'm planning to cancel mine at renewal time and put the money aside too.

Reactions: MrC
Hope he is feeling better.

It depends what goes wrong with the horse.
My vet tells you that certain treatments are not available if you are not covered, due to non payers. If I wasn't insured they wouldn't have helped the cob.
Scary thought.

Reactions: MrC
Well my vets are very funny about payment, they used to let you pay large amounts in chunks as long as it was decent chunks and just add a little interest, which for when Kia Colic'd and I ended up with a £300+ vet bill they let me pay it in three lumps as he wasn't covered for colic, the insurance didn't hesitate to exclude it despite not paying out for it :rolleyes: , now they don't apparently to which I asked so if I don't have £x000s sitting waiting you won't treat my horse even though it's against the vet oath to have an animal suffering or in pain? They soon backed off that one and changed the tune but I do find it very galling especially since I've always squared my vets bills with them, yes they are a business but they all build their wealth on insurance money these days and forget at the end of the day not everyone has it nor £££££££s sitting by waiting in this climate, yet to see a skint vet though.....

Anyway I'm not vet bashing just policy bashing lol ;) I'm happy he seems to have a fairly straight forward diagnosis And hoping he will be back out with his ladies soon :) His new bridle has been ordered So hoping he's back to normal soon so we can try it out and see if it helps him :D

Their policies for under 19yrs old seem excellent they fully paid out for eowyns tendon injury deposits only being insured by them a week when I switched from Scottish equi. I couldn't fault them for their service then at all and for also allowing me to cancel Eowyns policy after I had to rehome her after her rehab when I lost my job, I should have had to pay the rest of my policy but they let me off as I was jobless. I've always had good service so certainly no knocking them for that.

I would however check as honestly I read my policy yearly, I used to work in insurance but this way of wording means that i was paying for insurance should he break the skin enough for stitches only. Pointless really considering he is kept in a stable, barefoot herd with him as herd-leader and the main disciplinarian.

I recall when mine altered their policy to exclude barefoot trimming. A lot of people got on their high horse, pardon the expression and said they would cancel.

Fine, but I just changed my farrier. :rolleyes: As a company I can't fault them. I don't have to have a trimmer, but I do need good insurance cover and now a farrier. Fair enough no big deal.

Really @newforest??? I didn't realise using a barefoot trimmer as opposed to a farrier voided your insurance....... I use a farrier so no skin off my nose but certainly wasn't aware they not using one voided, wonder how it is for those trimming their own.......

Interesting :)

Really @newforest??? I didn't realise using a barefoot trimmer as opposed to a farrier voided your insurance....... I use a farrier so no skin off my nose but certainly wasn't aware they not using one voided, wonder how it is for those trimming their own.......

Interesting :)
When mine went lame, the questions were, when did she go lame blah blah.
Who is your farrier and when did she last see them. I was able to say she was seen by a registered farrier as I had changed.

I'm going back two years roughly now.

The same applies though to riding or leading in a halter on the public highway. It's not a bitless bridle. But a bosal is, go figure!

Hmmmmmm interesting as Kia sees the farrier about three times a year as he self trims rather efficiently as long as he's being hacked out or his feet are seeing tarmac. So I don't know how I would answer that truthfully as the farrier agrees just to call him when I think he's needed......

I didn't ride all winter so he saw the farrier earlier than normal this spring and I'll probably get him again in a few weeks as his feet have taken a spurt with the grass coming through and j haven't had him out much, but if I get him out at least twice a week in summer then he won't see a farrier until late autumn unless he needs a balance or any issues appear :)

newrider.com