Visit by Western saddle fitter

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
A very interesting visit today from the Western Saddle fitter.

She agrees that Ziggy would look super cute in a Western saddle but he will be hard to fit. We tried half a dozen different trees on him. Mostly they were simply too long. A couple were (too my surprise) too wide. There was one tree from the Equiflex 181 saddle (a new, short, super lightweight model) which would fit him well with only minimal adjustment - making the shoulders wider to accommodate his big front. But it would cost more than £2200 to have one made for him, which I simply do not have.

We went through second hand options for a short, a very short backed, wide native pony. Barefoot - probably too long (I know this is true because we tried them when he was new). Startrekk Shorty - a good fit but questions about stability. Freemax - avoid like the plague, bad problems with stirrup point pressure (I'm glad I didn't buy that one then!). Or look for the old model Equiflex 181 second hand.

I am glad that what she said agreed with my research but it doesn't appear that I will be getting a Western saddle for my pony any time soon, unless I win the Lottery!

Oh what a shame. I'm reading a novel about a cowboy at the moment and am having Western envy!

Yes, Maria Owens the Western Saddle Fitter. I so fancy tooling along on my little Western Pleasure Horse but unless I strike gold in the second hand market it is not to be!

Reactions: domane
Jane I feel for you. As you know I love riding Western but it isn't the culture here. Id o know someone with hybrid Western type saddle for a native pony and will see if I can find the name for you and pm you in case it hasn't been on your list.

Last edited:
That's a shame.
Freemax, are very very hard on your bum as well!!
People in the USA love them as they do the other name that escapes me.

newrider.com