• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Laya

Dec 7, 1999
Pennsville, NJ USA
I have recently started supplementing my two horses (7 y.o. Quarter Horse gelding and a 4 y.o. Arabian filly) with Farnam's Vita Plus Equine Feed Supplements. They just finished their first bucket, which lasted both of them 3-4 weeks. Since I first started feeding these supplements, I have seen remarkable improvements in their coat and over-all health. However, my docile, pliable QH gelding has recently become irascible (biting, pinning his ears, kicking, being downright grouchy). Just yesterday, I was brushing him down in his stall where he was standing, and for no reason, he reached around and took a nasty bite out of my thigh. This is not my horse's normal behvaior (I have owned him his entire life), and I was thinking it might be a result of the supplements he was receiving? I have had the vet check him and he is otherwise sound. Could this be a side effect of Vita Plus - or could it be a maturing personality change with his age? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

• Supplement meets the demands of today's equine athletes, show horses, breeding stock and young, growing horses
    Contains virtually every beneficial nutritional ingredient an equine supplement can provide to improve a horse's condition and performance
    Contains polyunsaturates for skin and hair condition, plus a healthy balance of vitamins and minerals
    3 lb, 7 lb, 20 lb and 100 lb

Attachments

• vitaplus.jpg
    vitaplus.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 27
I used that stuff the first year I had my boy. His behavior was erratic during that time anyway, so it would be hard for me to expand on that part of your question. I can tell you that his behavior was strictly related to training issues rather than diet.

What I can tell you though is that Vita Plus has all the right ingredients (vitamins & minerals) but in LOW doses. For example, the calcium / phosphorus ratio is there, but on a low scale. If you read anything done analytically on it, most research recommends feeding double the dosage to get the "correct" levels. Or at least, thats what I found.

In that, I doubt his recent behavior change is relative to the supplement ~ more likely the change in weather or something you may not even be aware of yet ;) But, changing diets should be something monitored no matter what. Have you asked your vet specifically about the supplement?

newrider.com