VSD saddles

G

Gemma16

Ok so I'm getting a new saddle on thursday, its gorgeous but I was just wondering if it is the best type I could get for Taffy.

I was recommended to get a VSD one because he has such big shoulders it should give him more freedom of movement, as it sits behind his shoulder.

I plan to do mainly showing, but also some jumping ( not at any great height ). Would this more straight cut saddle be suitable?

Thanks for any advice.

The term VSD

I hope I am understanding the term VSD correctly. To me it means it's an all purpose saddle with a build that's more towards dressage.

Is that what you are referring to? And it's supposed to fit better on his shoulder because the flaps aren't as far foward?

If so then the description on the Courbette site may be helpful in determining what the VSD is suitable for:

Saddle styles- VSD vs. VSS

It sounds to be what you are looking for! I hope you and your horse will enjoy it.

My share horse used to have one if I'm not mistaken, you should be fine doing what you describe in it. Straighter cut saddles are supposed to be better with big shoulders, having said that all saddles should sit behind the shoulder anyway. You could also look at a working hunter saddle, but not all of them are that good for jumping in despite what the name suggests.

What make are you going for? I'm guessing it'll need to be in a pretty wide fit if he's anything like Rio and all the other welshies I've come across:D

I think part of the problem is that forward-cut saddles with full panels will always restrict some horses. If the shoulders are retricted, the saddle is pushed from side to side each time the shoulders move back.

Straighter cut saddles do help; the other option that's very useful is Owen (or half) panels, which also tend to sit better on wider horses. I have them for Fat Boy.

My friend's loan horse is currently quite overweight, and he's in a VERY forward-cut saddle with crooked panels which was also far too narrow for him even before he ballooned over winter. It's painful to see him plodding along, but I don't think she really understands what a difference a pinching, restrictive saddle can make to a horse. She insists he's just lazy and I can't wait for the day she sorts out a new one for him :rolleyes:

Well today is the day. I think I'm gonna go for the VSd. Last night I tried the exact one on him but of a friends. It fitted like a glove.

And I was amazed at how much more free his movement was. Hopefully I won't need my breastgirth anymore!

newrider.com