Walking off from the mounting block.

laura jeanne

Jan 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
My horse never used to do this but now the second I am i the saddle he walks off. I have hardly ever ridden him for the last 2 years so it was not me that did this!!

However, now he is my horse and I don't know how to stop it.

Any advice?? Thank you!

so you are in the saddle and he walks off?
Not before you get on.
I would just ask immediately for a halt and praise for standing still then.

(have you started your Wizard Diary yet? it will be nice to look back later on and see how things evolved)

If he is bracing his back when your weight is in the saddle, he may be sore somewhere. I would consider having someone look at his back and saddle fit to make sure it's not happening out of discomfort. If it is, and you persist, you may find it difficult to correct his behaviour as he will continue to associate mounting with discomfort.

I am in the process of buying him a new saddle.

I've just talked to the previous owner and she thinks his leaser last year got him in the habit. She has given me some tips and will work with me.

Hi
I have a guy that started to do this after a first trip out with a saddle that did not fit that well - Just bought a new one in the last week and although the habit still there he is much better - I have rearranged the mounting block so he is unable to swing out - still tryed to walk off to pastures green but with a little patience and a new saddle he has come on a treat this week . Good luck !

newrider.com