Want a laugh?? Vid of me riding tiny pony :D

bluntcrayon

Oct 21, 2009
Chelmsford
OK I wasn't going to post this as my riding is so dreadful but what the hell. Here's me riding Amee the 12.2hh Welshie who Claire1605 has up for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrGPpQeLJQ

Gentle critiques welcome (I think), I already know I am tipping forward dreadfully in trot, am looking downwards rather than forwards and very obviously check my diagonal (at least I think that's what I'm doing??)... and I can't sit to canter.

In my defence... the stirrups don't go any longer and the saddle is so wee I may as well be perched atop a teensy leather Pringle :eek: and I only came back to riding a few months ago and can't remember a single thing from my childhood lessons :eek:

Actually you looked Ok to me - but then Im hardly one to crtique anybody elses riding:eek:

Thats a very cute poinio - and TBh I always think something small is far harder to ride than something big:)

Actually you looked Ok to me - but then Im hardly one to crtique anybody elses riding:eek:

Thats a very cute poinio - and TBh I always think something small is far harder to ride than something big:)

Phew... thank you! I just think I look a bit messy... Yes I do find her a lot harder to ride than Harvs, he's like an armchair and I feel very secure, but Amee's saddle is literally the same size as my bum so I'm either in it or I'm not, if you see what I mean... no room for error!

I'm impressed by how you managed to post to that trot! I was keeping time and imagining what it would be like to do it that quickly and I felt exhausted just thinking about it!

I think the video is really cute and you ride her really well. Boy, can she jump too!

Your rising trot looks fine to me! Your hands are nice and still and you are rising only as much as the pony's movement needs. You could slow down the fast trot by slowing your rise if you wanted to though, i am sure you have the body control to do it. The canter you are bouncing, but it does not look like an easy canter to sit to. Have a look at these youtube vids especially the canter one as it shows the backward ecleptic movement that will help you sit. To get an idea have a canter (skip) on your own feet and put your hands on your hips to feel the movement you make. Also put your hand in the small of your back to feel the movement there. Then "skip" with your hips and lower back on the horse.

http://www.equestrian-training.co.uk/equisimulator EE.htm

Erm, actually, as an adult who rides ponies (and an advocate-of-adults-riding-ponies) I have to say I think you look great on her :) But I did have a chuckle at your thread title "tiny pony" because as far as I'm concerned 12.2 is FAR from "tiny" ;)

I also think you look good on her! She looks like a cracking little pony, if i was shopping for me just the pony i would get! :)

The canter isnt as bad as you think, it will get easier when you get used to her and trust her and then you relax... If your feeling brave canter on lunge without stirrups??? I found once ive cracked a set ponies canter once, you generally have the hang of it. Its much harder as the strides are so much shorter and choppier than on a larger neddy and you have a smaller space to land bum/less room for legs moving etc :)

Im quite jealous!

I think you look really good, not like you're getting in the way of her at all which is obviously the worry if you feel too big for her.

And she's gorgeous, I want her!

I have a tip for the diagonals.

Ride a few different horses or ponies and you will possibly find that you always go off on one diagonal. In my case no matter what i ride i appear to be always on the left. So all i do when going left as i know this is sit an extra and voila i'm right.

Of course there will always be an odd pony that's going to put me otherwise, but if i know that i will always be correct on one rein and so i just sit an extra on the other.

:)

ETA when i saw small pony i expected a shetland or similiar. Thankfully i have no video of me on these :)

Last edited:
newrider.com