Want to show, but no one will go

which is completly understandable for you to say if I had had a barney with someone or been a lunatic about it, I just felt i wanted to have a little rant about it not a debate and to have to defend myself.

well, you have a few options:

1) School with the others and not worry about shows
2) Save up and get some transport of your own
3) Hire transport at the cost it is
4) Move yards to a nearby equestrian centre

Ive hacked many times to shows when i had no transport - i didn't get fed up just cause nobody wanted to go with me ??
When i moved somewhere miles away from any shows i concentrated on my horses education whilst i saved up for a trailer.

you can't expect to just rant and get no advice or opinions on a public forum.

If you haven't got anything useful to say other than criticise someone for posting by calling it 'silly' then why do you bother to post at all?? Opinions are one thing, but you verge on the insulting IMO. At no point did OP 'moan' about the fact that nobody would take her to a show, only that she would prefer to share the cost of transport.

OP: I can understand your frustration, it's not the fact (necessarily) that you don't have transport, but shows are much more fun when you've got someone to go with. I like making a day of it myself. Why not see if you could start a club or something by advertising in your local tack shop? If there is a show you want to go to you could put up a notice saying 'transport share available', you'd probably be surprised at the number of people in your area that are in a similar position to you.

I like the suggestion by HashRouge to hire a trailer, go for the day and rave about it when you get back to the yard - perhaps the people on your yard don't realise how many classes they could enter (and everyone likes rosettes LOL).

Hiya,

There are LOADS of riding schools and livery yards around Epping Forest so I think maybe you should write up some postcards asking if anyone needs a travel/show buddy and drop one into each yard one sunday!

Nearest tack shop to you is prob Janet Moss in Waltham Abbey, pop one into there too :)

I will be looking to share transport next year to a few shows as I'd like to show my colt as a yearling but thats not definate. Im only a couple of miles away from Epping Forest :)

Send me a PM and i will keep hold of your details!

Hiya,

There are LOADS of riding schools and livery yards around Epping Forest so I think maybe you should write up some postcards asking if anyone needs a travel/show buddy and drop one into each yard one sunday!

Nearest tack shop to you is prob Janet Moss in Waltham Abbey, pop one into there too :)

I will be looking to share transport next year to a few shows as I'd like to show my colt as a yearling but thats not definate. Im only a couple of miles away from Epping Forest :)

Send me a PM and i will keep hold of your details!

Fantastic idea!

Ingatestone saddlery is near to you and has a board which always has people looking at it. Everyone i know locally goes there as theyve got a wide range of gear and their cafe is just the best.I am sure if you put a card up you will find people willing to share costs etc.Good Luck!

I pay over £100 to hire a lorry to take me to shows on my own. I am probably going to be paying that to take my pony out on Sat to do two in hand classes - he has had some breathing problems due to an allergy to seeds in his winter field so not going do the ridden classes even though vet said I can ride him. Will probably come last as breathing not perfect but still hope to enjoy a nice day out. :D

Unfortunately life is not perfect and we do not alway have the opportunity to do exactly what we please. If your interest is driving why not join a local driving group and then perhaps you can meet up with people at shows.

Thanks for the help guys, some good advice. To be fair, Im really flexible I just enjoy taking the horses out and doing a bit with them, Little John is a Hackney x pony and although he is in fine condition he does have a lump on his shoulder, checked by the vet but not good for Condition or turnout classes but any other classes in hand I would be willing to take part in. He is only 4 and has not been to a show before so I really wouldnt want to take him alone.

Once he has been out a couple of times I have no objection to going alone.

I would have thought that with a lump on his shoulder he'll get nothing at in hand showing of any sort - they'll class that as a blemish surely. Showing is pretty intensive - even just at local level - and they take it very seriously. No matter how pretty his face or movement is you wont have a cat in hells chance with a lump.

You might be better getting him actually doing something, albeit driving, a wee bit of jumping, dressage or the novelty classes, handy pony, fancy dress etc. Or do what I'm doing (having decided that a showing career is not for me:eek:) and do pleasure rides or go to the beach etc. I take my boy over to my pals and go hacking and its been fantastic for him - its really settled him down and taught him loads.

yea but as previously said I am not bothered about where I get placed I want him to experince it. We are taking everything in our stride and he is not yet ready to have this removed.

That’s horrendous; they school these poor horses until they go deaf? How on earth do they do that? Do they shout very loud voice commands?

Maybe that’s why they don’t want to go to shows as their horses are all deaf?

Lol, I think its truely great they school there horses and a real nice yard if im honest but I would really like a show buddy so I can attend some more stuff

WHOA there !
An innocent question again has got out of hand !!!!

I show my horse, but only started when I could afford to buy my own trailer.
I too wanted to get out and about- but didn't until I'd donre enough overtime to pay for my own transport.
Sorry- don't mean to be selfish- but wouldn't it be worth it to try and get a cheap 2nd hand trailer-- so that you can go to the shows when ever you want?

I know what it's like to want to do something with your horse but nobody is interested.
make it your business to do what you want- then you'll make new friends at the shows like I have done.
Cheers

newrider.com