wanted-perfect icelandic/fell/dales

allthegearnoidea

Dec 16, 2006
Hello all, my horse was sold about a month ago.So am know in a position to start thinking about what to do next.
I have researched a lot and at the moment am looking for a native type nothing under 7, family horse, good in traffic, stable etc etc.
I will be doing some schooling ( indoor and outdoor, but mostly hacking, fun rides, with others and alone, maybe le trec, showing, distance rides.
However i was missold a very green cob as my first horse, and we didnt do each other any favours!( i said go he said no)
New horse will be kept at diy livery yard, and massively fussed over.
i have freinds with icelandics so they can assist me, i have ridden one of them.
Look at anything between 13.2 - 14.3- i love ponies, must have good brakes, and not be silly in company.
okay okay i now i am asking a lot but i am sure the right one is out there somewhere
p.s i have a freind after a fjord too
any ideas welcome!

Last edited:
if you want to do traditional showing, an icelandic won't be the way forward cos you cant enter them in m&m classes ;)

im sure your perfect pony is out there! maybe even in the shape of a heinz 57 :p

or what about a new forest? my friend acquired one recently and i have to say i'm quite taken with the little chap :) new forests are supposed to be quite sensible and pliable :)

Julia
x

I am very bloody minded and would love to take an icelandic into a best ridden pony/ hack class. just to see the judges faces.
I think its about time the powers that be sat up and took notice of all the different things now going on inthis country.
p.s i have p.m.t

Well I took an icelandic into unaffiliated dressage...fell off in the middle of my test!
I'll definatley get her out more to different things. Just for the experience for both of us. And if that means showing or dressage then so be it! A good judge (especially at un affy level) should be able to mark any horse and rider combination. And iceys can still walk, trot and canter in an outline. Therefore it shouldn't make any difference!

Icelandics are not always easy, they can be very complex. not all, you have to know what you are doing to find a family plod Icelandic sometimes.

If you are not aware of the gaits that can be a bit of hassle too.

Luckily i have freinds who are very knowledgable about icelandics.One had a mare from mic and one has a gelding from smari and mandy. They are both convinced that an icelandic would be a good choice for me,( the right one) i have looked on ihsgb website and have been in contact with lady selling on there.
i know there are good and bad in all horse types but from what i have read there is more good than bad in them
and if i can publicise my needs i have more chance of getting what i want, as i feel the sort of horse i want may not be advertised everywhere
i am also looking at dales and fells,the budget is not an issue for the right horse

He is beautiful, but i do prefer black!!
so i will leave him for youxx
seriously i see these lovely horses and sometimes i think they are just to good for me!!

Some nice looking fjords about at the moment. But please tell your friend to make sure they have a british passport registered with the http://www.fjord-horse.co.uk. There has been quite a few mix ups with imports lately and she wants to make sure she has a pure bred :)

I had mine from the Ausdan Stud and she has a temperament to die for.

Last edited:
i have a haffi for sale (only to a 5* home, i love her too much :) )
shes 9 14.1hh most lovable friendly horse you could ever meet

Have a look on the Fell Pony Society website.......sales.....there are a couple there just now.........lots of money though!

I know a lady selling a very nice fell pony if youre interested, lovely 14hh gelding completely black, registered, TOTALLY bombproof (i know because ive ridden him myself on a footpath next to a motorway!) not strong or pully at all

He was one of two she had for sale, guess who bought the other one last week :p:D

He's not silly money either as some fells can be, if youre interested pm me and ill ask the lady when she delivers my new pony tomorrow :) :p

x x

newrider.com