War bridle

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I just saw this, I'd like to try it on Jess, just for jee whizz really
image.jpeg
I also want to track down the leather version to try, I can't remember who makes them now though.

Oh Jessey, I don't like the look of that at all. I'm no expert but i was always led to believe that war bridles were used on hard to handle horses? I'm probably completely wrong though....runs and hides

Reactions: Jessey
War bonnets (I think they were called) were for hard to handle horses, those were a halter that had a string which ran along under the top lip and connected to the lead, this is just rope in place of a metal bit :)

Reactions: joellie
Oh thanks for that, told you i was no expert lol but would the rope not burn or rub their mouths if used in the wrong hands? I think you would have to be a good rider and know what your doing as it looks like you would have to use your legs and body for turning as i cant imagine the way the rope goes through the mouth and attached to the reins it would be any use for turning.

Looking futher @joellie there is reference to war bridles for handling difficult horses too, those look much like the rope halters seen in showing here, the gentle way is looped around the whole nose, the harsh way just around the lower jaw, those tighten if pulled on though on poll and jaw.

Im not concerned about steering, jess neck reins anyway and used to being ridden in a bosal which has a similar rein set up.

They cant put tongue over or spit it out as its snugged into the curb groove.

The leather version has been used by a show jumper, I cant remember who now tho

Reactions: joellie
I want to try one but they arent the cheapest, esp when you have to buy a product made in Germany from the US and pay extra for shipping :rolleyes: :p

I dont like the look of that, it screams broken jaw at me if things went wrong!

Reactions: Bodshi
@Gimp I don't really see it being worse than say a kimblewick or any curb bit in terms of accident potential

I may ask my saddler friend to make me a leather one, even hand made I'm sure it would be less that $130 :)

No way would I say that it's no worse than a kimblewick etc, the but is attached to s stable headpiece which only allows so much movement, that is completely independent and could easily break the bottom mandible.

Not something is ever ride in as if you came off and held onto the reins you could easily break the jaw.

Reactions: Gimp
Yes thats what I was imagining, or if reins were troddon on or caught up!

No way would I say that it's no worse than a kimblewick etc, the but is attached to s stable headpiece which only allows so much movement, that is completely independent and could easily break the bottom mandible.

Not something is ever ride in as if you came off and held onto the reins you could easily break the jaw.

You see I think with, for eg a kimblewick, the headstall is the first thing to break if something goes wrong then you are left with a metal bit and chain/strap around the lower jaw, pretty sure any metal bit in case of a problem could cause just as much damage even if not a curb type. I do get it has an unusual set of risks, but you note the rein is attached on a slobber strap so has a relatively low breaking point due to the little lace that attaches it compared to a regular English rein type attachment.

newrider.com