War bridle

If the head piece breaks I've never had to have a curb chain tight enough that the whole bit didn't just slide out of the mouth just from the weight, I even came over a horse's head with a dirty stop at a WH fence and the whole bridle including Pelham double reins and curb chain come off in my hands when I slid off and he shook his head.

Catching the bugger was interesting afterwards mind you ;)

So I can't really see the comparison I'm afraid, I wouldn't even attempt to put something like that near or around my horses lower jaw and accidents can and do happen and that just looks to be pushing your luck a wee bit being honest.

Given the attachment point of the reins, and that it isn't fitted tight but just snugged with a slider I would expect if you came over the head it would come off anyway, much in the same fashion a bosal does if the rein hasn't broken before hand.
Things like flashes could prevent a bit from dropping out, esp when fitted tight like some do but they are common place. I do see the risks you suggest but don't think they are that different/much worse than other possible bitting scenarios, I mostly ride in a German hackamore, if Jess got her leg through the rein and it didn't break that could break her face/nose or jaw, I accept that is a risk and remain very conscious of it. Lots of people use chifneys, also known for causing horrific damage to the jaw but still common place :D

The tightness of the lower jaw would be what concerns me, that looks to be what's keeping it on. A curb is never fitted that tight, it would almost twitch them wouldnt it?

The curb is neutral until you pick up the second rein. Therefore a curb so tight so a bit stays in the mouth must be exerting a constant pressure in a very sensitive area, that the horse has no relief from?

I think they are meant to be fitted about as tight as a noseband, so you can still get a couple of fingers under them.
leather bit.jpg

Just seems a bit pointless really ! theres probabley a reason why its not used in modern day, I guess in war it was handy and easy with the resources they had available. I just have a horrible image of a jaw being ripped off ! ( paranoid?? me ?? !! ) :D

Reactions: MrC
You don't ride in a chifney though, so that's not a great comparison to use.

I just wouldn't feel entirely comfortable seeing anyone riding solely on that alone.

You don't ride in it but it doesn't mean things can't go wrong while its in use :)

Why do you say not in that alone? would putting a headstall on with it make it better somehow?

Not really but I could see it as part of a full bridle as a back up device but I still think it's something that no one should ride in a chifney again is attached to a headpiece for support.

MrC I'm really not trying to fight, I like discussion and to see different points of view :D

My headstalls do little on Jess when she is bitted, its a western thing I guess to leave the bit a bit lower in the mouth to allow them to pick it up and hold it where they are most comfortable, on my stiffer headstalls you can see daylight between the bit and keeper so not offering any support, just there for show :D

I'm not fighting either :) discussion goes better when people don't all agree lol ;)

The head pieces do come into effect should the reins etc be stood on or caught and taking the pressure off the lower jaw as such and give a relief that wouldn't be there with the above device :). Even a very loose headpiece and cheek pieces will still give support and prevent the lover jaw taking the full brunt.

Reactions: Jessey
:D Not sure I would agree on that, a head piece only supports if the force is along its length, if the force is back towards the jaw (like a rein under a front foot) then it wouldn't dissipate the force by any significant amount
See my awful sketch ;) if the tension was on the purple line it would be supported by the headstall, but on the red line/rein it would continue to apply full force to the jaw and the line doesn't wrap around a pivot, possibly there would be a tiny reduction but it would be virtually nothing.

Attachments

• awful pic.png
    awful pic.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 5
I get the Western point you make @Jessey. Previous lad had a myler sitting lower than the English traditional way of placement. The cob though didn't like that, so hers is a little more English.
My lass has a huge amount of winter coat and a decent beard. She would need clipping right back to find her chin.

@Jessey I have a Barefoot Cordeo you could have to play around with.
I know you mention yours neck reins, it's too small for someone's thick, fat hippo of a neck!!!
It looks nice though but it's pointless.

Update sold.

Last edited:
She'd probably be fine with it, Bo used to be great with just a neck rope, we used to do full reining patterns and demos with one :)

newrider.com