Warning - never get attached to some-one else's horse

Mini Reed

Mar 3, 2005
Surrey, England
Never again, nope, never get attached to some one else’s horse. Twice now I’ve been hurt, own fault really, shouldn’t get so attached.

Went up yard as usual on Sat only to be told YO and 4 of 6 horseys are retiring to South of France. Really sad, there is one horse there that I ride regularly, rode about 8 years when she was a baby, before she went racing, who I’m absolutely in love with, no other words for it, we have been getting on brilliantly since I started back at the yard in Feb. I’m doing a X country with her on Sunday. I feel we’re pretty good together, hard to put into words but I’m sure a lot of you’ll know what I mean. It’s not just horsey, it’s YO too. I’ve been to an awful lot of yards in my area and this YO is the only one I have any real respect for, some-one I would trust fully if I had horsey of my own. And then there’s the social thing, go up at weekend, chat, muck out, ride, chat etc. It’s a really nice mature and fun yard. And now, well October, she’s off to France, damn and poo and damn, sorry for language but it’s just SOOOOOOO poo.

Other horsey was one I had on loan for 3 years. Things went a little sour with owner so one day I rode back into yard after hack (last one it turns out) to find owner waiting for me to take back tack and tell me arrangement was over, wasn’t even allowed to groom horsey down after ride.

There is a lot more to each story but I am trying to summarise. But basically, that’s it, I am never going to get attached to some-one else’s horse, don’t think I’ll ever be rich (or brave) enough to have my own, so my life is over. I know, over reaction, just a tad, but that’s kinda how it feels.

Sorry for Monday morning misery, OH tries his best, but not convinced he fully understands the way one can feel about the horseys in their life.

I shared a couple of horses i was very attached to - one was up for sale and I had to let him go as though I could afford to buy him i couldn't afford to keep him - but in fairness he went to a much better home than I could offer.

The second one lived with his owner till he died. so again best for him.

It hurts - but sometimes you have to take the view that maybe it's best for the horses, at least they are going with their owner, to a retirement, rather than being put up for sale and moving on. Hard on you, but better for them.

Go on, get out there and look for somewhere else. You'll find it.

Oh dear. I really feel for you..... It's horrible isn't it?

I recently parted company with my part-loan horse of 2 years. His owner encouraged me to think of him as my own and I did. When things started going pear shaped it broke my heart.... :(

Don't give up though. The feeling will pass eventually.

I didn't think my hubby would understand how badly I was feeling either. But there's plenty of like-minded folk here on NR if you need to vent!!.

Take care.

Sarah x

Thanks for nice comments.

ANN H, had thought about asking, but am pretty convinced she is one of the four that YO is taking, she's such a wonderful horse YO would be nuts not to take her, but I haven't actually been brave enough to ask.

Think I'll try and drop a massive hint next week, after we've been round the X country and looked fab together (hopefully) I'll say something like "there's no chance Gem's one of the horses you're leaving is there?" and take it from there.

If she does definetly go then of course it's for the best. YO bred Gem so knows her inside out and better than anyone, and I can't hekp thinking if I were Gem, where'd I rather be, rainy South of England or sunny South of France!!!

newrider.com