Warning! Positive thread about Honey! *pics*

Lonestar

Bluey Manai
Aug 30, 2006
There hasn't been alot of these about in a while have there? ;)

Rode her for the first time in 3 weeks today.
What a star she was.
She waited patiently whilst i tacked her up, fiddled with her girth and when i went to get my golves (Gosh its cold!).
She has lost weight, have had to put girth up 2 holes!! And shes been having alot of hard feed recently, has also been put in the winter field (it comes up to her knees LOL).

I thought she was going to be a complete moo because she hasnt been ridden in 3 weeks and i haven't seen her in a whole week, nope, not even a glance. :eek: How evil am i?

Anyways...
I walked her around in her tack for 5-10 minutes, she was one her toes, prancing around, and for Dylan to be Dylan, galloped up and down the fencing in the next field.. "greatt!" i thought. :rolleyes: Typical Dylan!
Then mum came and gave me a leggy, she was okay, walked her around the field about 5 times on each rein (Honeys impression of walking, is jogging on the spot and pulling on the reins to go nowadays).
So then i thought 'Why don't we try a trot.. a SLOW trot nothing more, nothing less'. Yep. She was sooo good, trotted her around in large circles, half circles, and then done some small circles in the corners.
I was so pleased with the way she went. She wasn't stiff, stubborn, naughty or anything that i thought she would have been! Im chuffed with her.

Everything is starting to go back into place again.
Farrier is coming on monday to take her back shoes off for the winter.

Pictures..

'Whatts that??'
Photo-0074.jpg

'Mmm. Do you have fooood for mee?'
Photo-0075.jpg

'Hiii'
Photo-0076.jpg

How'd you think shes looking?
Photo-0077.jpg

And a well deserved tea me thinks!
Photo-0078.jpg

Thats it!
Im now a very very happy owner!! :D

Hehe

I think she knows shes cute, too much of the time :p.

Vet said she had arthiritus.. diagnosed it and left it at that.
Got a second opinion from someone elsewhere, they said her back shoes are causing her pain as well as a bit of arthiritus.
So we left her for a couple of weeks to see what happened.. and she seems okay now, back shoes are coming off on monday so will see if that changes anything.
Honey is also on cortaflex, nobute and some other supplement.

x

Hehe. Thanks ponygal.

Where abouts in Norfolk are you based, as im also in Norfolk :)

thats so strange- i have a pony called honey and she is also arthritic.
we only got her in july but she went lame the day after we bought her :(
had the vet out and she went on bute for about 2 weeks but not alot of difference.
vet said to take her shoes off and leave her, so we did and she is soooo much better.
she was originally 6/10 lame on the front but then went down to only 2/10 lame now.

she is on cortaflex and is seems to of helped her mobility alot, she is alot less jarred in her movements.

she is only 11 but we hack her 3 times a week in walk and trot and occasionally we let her pop a small (often a 6inch or so) jump just for something different and fun for her.

what do you think long term you are aiming for with her now that you know about her arthritis?
my vet hasnt really given me much to go on, other than that she will always be lame but just see how she feels in herself.

your honey is very pretty by the way.

beanz's mum - Hehe thanks :)

foxymiche1 - Sounds just like my mare. Shes 11 also. First vet said she wouldnt be able to be ridden for a year, Got a second opinion from a well known vet and said leave her for 3 weeks and take her shoes off, you will be able to ride her and do things that you would normally do with her.
But things have kind of changed in my perspective, so im just going to do some local showjumping with her, a bit of cross country now and again because there isnt much of it about, and mainly do some dressage with her, i have always wanted to do dressage with her but because of her arthiritus i dont know how far she will go, she is a fabulous mover when she wants to, but lately because of her arthiritus shes been a bit stiff etc, but once shes had a good ole warmup for about 20 minutes minimum, she is perfectly fine.

Whoa.. that was long.

There's an ex-showjumper at my yard who is now an affiliated dressage horse because of his arthritis, as long as you give her plenty of time to loosen up i'm sure she'd be fine!

My friends pony is on glucosamine for her joints, i've heard good things about it!

Glucosamine is brilliant for joints, both human and animal!
I have it (teenage arthritis), dog has it and my old loan had it :D

x

Lovely pony, looks very like my Tulipe, glad she's on the mend.:)
What breeding is your girl?

Erm, not really sure as in her passport it says unknown, but vet reckons she looks like a QH x welsh or something along those lines as previous owners bought her from abroad.

newrider.com