Warning re fly sprays - feeling very guilty/stupid

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Went away last weekend and groomed my friends horse for her but didn't put any fly spray on as didn't know if her horse was sensitive. We don't normally use a fly spray but I went to great lengths to get one with the same active ingrediant as the summer fly cream we use as this works well on her ears.

So next day we are grooming together and my friend offers me her fly spray which I use liberally including around Rosies teats as that's her worst bit.

On Tuesday after a day off I notice a bit of peely skin in front if her teats but don't pay much attention. 15 mins later we pop into our third little canter and she does a huge buck, unseating me and runs off - both of which are unusual. Cue much hysterics as I'm hurt and can't catch her, a&e, two days in bed with bad back etc I have finally made it back to the field today to find her whole underneath peeling and scabby. No wonder the poor thing chucked me off and legged it!

I don't know if it was a combination of the two sprays together or just a reaction to the new one but please heed the warning and be careful with chemicals/ do a patch test first!

SECOND THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I dont actually spray her bits and pieces as she is so sensitive I dont want to chance it, spray her rug over the area though, only spray hair covered areas.

P.S. Remember to tie your horse short when trying to soothe sore teats by rinsing and applying a barrier cream otherwise they might BITE you on the back in order to express their discomfort.

I'm not having a very good week am I?

Aw, poor you and poor horse. Hope you are both ok soon. I worry about fly spray too - so far so good with my home-made variety. I just put a little bit on Joes rump to start with and he's been fine. I know whats gone into it - plus its citronella mainly and water (he's used citronella for years we used to buy a home-made variety from the vets).

At least she bites your back AR0 - not much to grab onto... My monkey goes straight for the backside :eek::eek: - she purposefully waits for you to bend over too :mad::D

Aw, poor you and poor horse. Hope you are both ok soon. I worry about fly spray too - so far so good with my home-made variety. I just put a little bit on Joes rump to start with and he's been fine. I know whats gone into it - plus its citronella mainly and water (he's used citronella for years we used to buy a home-made variety from the vets).

Im using the citronella oil neat - its working "well" it stays on, does tend to leave her a bit grubby, but oil and smell is a good combo - that said although I cant see any flies on her - she is still stamping and swishing furiously... but for staying power, best way Ive found yet - wouldnt dare spray on naked skin though

Eeek anna that sounds nasty, hope you feel better soon xx

I always spray finnleys willy pouch, he doesnt seem to care. But he hasnt got sensitive skin :p

He LOVES having the fly gel rubbed into that area :cool: he gets curly lips and his head goes in the air, Dirty boy! hehe

Clearly Rascal still has gender issues then... wanders about with it all out al day, and as soon as hee sees my knees bend WOOMPH its gone!!!! LOL Smelly crusty little man he is...

That said, hes got a new party trick. Find some really tall plants, walks over them so they are up into his tummy/groin and then wiggles about like a fish out of water. Very funny, looks like hes got stuck in the plant!!! On the less funny note he doest the lip nose twitching thing and grunts :eek:

I've found that my horse reacts to just about EVERY flyspray! At the moment I'm using a homemade one that my friend made up, and here's the thing. Before that I was using NETTEX and when I put it on he would dance around. When I use the homemade one he stands still. They're both in a spray and both make a sssss noise, so I reckon the NETTEX stings when it goes on whereas the homemade one doesn't! Horses!!!!!!!

newrider.com