Was this naughty or good- my horse last night

Harlequin32

Feb 20, 2008
Went to get my horse in last night- this has been a huge task due to him planting and being impossible to move anywhere- we have got over this and he's not too bad.

Well last night he was right at the bottom of the field with his 4 field friends who live out- I called him but started walking as i always do knowing the chances of him coming are non-existent:rolleyes:

Anyway he looks up and charges at 100 mph- (the rest follow at a slower more controlled pace ) Now i think to myself "oh bless he's coming"......Oh cr** he's aiming for me"
so i move over....so does he (still flat out) I kind of move slightly more :eek: but he's still coming at me.

This is all happening quicker of course then it sounds! anyway, he skids leaps in the air and nearly had me with a front hoof- nickered prettily
"hi mummy i nearly just killed you";) stuck his nose in the headcoller and came in beautifully!!:confused:

Did he come when called like a good boy? (just a bit too enthusiastic) or was he being a real idiot- not sure!!

LOL my old boy used to do that for years, its a bit naughty I suppose but he never actually managed to hit me.

Its actually good that he's pleased to see you and wants to come in, could have something to do with them being a bit hungry now the goodness has gone out of the grass though.

I stopped going into the field, if he wouldn't come right up to the gate then no tea :D

HAH, the youngster I used to have, Morse, used to do that.

I used to think 'he will stop in a minute, he will stop in a minute, bl**dy hell
WHEN is he gonna stop':p He always did though, JUST:D

This is quite common, especially for geldings I find. Yes, it could be coz they are hungry now. Perhaps call him from the gateway. You could always put both arms out straight by your side (and hope and pray!!) and he should stop!! But best be safe than sorry lol. Hark at me, I can remember not so long ago I was in the field when this happened with a friend's horse and I just legged it out the field!!! ha ha

Just testing ;) he was in a hurry to see you, or get his tea (or both) but also just checking to see if he could make you move your feet at the same time :p
I would suggest that you make yourself BIG if he does this, do star jumps on the spot, wave your arms out in front of you (and let him run into them if he will), anything like that to make your own 'personal bubble' bigger. He'll stop, horses are very good judges of distance. I often swing a piece of rope around me to show my 3 & 4yr olds where my 'bubble' is, they rarely, if ever, run into it, but if they do then that was their fault :)

LOL, he was a good boy because he didn't go smack bang into you ;)

Ginny does something similar sometimes - one stands out a lot (for some reason) I called her, she came galloping towards me. When she was about half way she changed to a fast canter and then a few meters from me (she was still cantering!!) she swung her body right the way round, but so it didn't hit me, and stopped on the spot about, what, 40cm away from me:eek:
Weird thing was - I trusted her enough that I didn't even move :eek:

Hi, I wasn't really too worried about him crashing into me I have seen him tear round and jam on the brakes 100's of times and know he has an emergency braking system fitted!:rolleyes: The problem was i also knew the moves he can pull as he stops, and this was the scary bit!
I've never really seen such random 4 legs in any direction craziness!

I wasnt sure if it was a trying to intimidate me or being happy or what- But when he stopped he was very sweet and as normal not at all aggressive

newrider.com