Wasn't sure what title to give this thread...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
But basically would like and value your input. I have a problem with bad weather / winter turnout with our two. For anybody who isn't familiar - they have lived at home with me for 3 years and we've had them for 5. First few winters were spent on yards and not much turnout available - ie, every other day or none at all.
Since bringing them home, one winter Joe was injured so had box rest anyways. Winter before that, they went out from 8am till it went dark. They were NOT happy with this. They both sweated up and created havoc and chaos calling and whinneying to come in:rolleyes: I had to work as did OH so it wasn't an option to bring them in much before darkness came. I don't think this was unreasonable! They had other ideas:rolleyes:
I am wondering what to do this winter? Joe is already showing signs of distress / unhappiness at being out - last night we brought them in at 6.30pm (which is our normal "autumn" bring in time). He bucked and farted all the way home and Storm spun, did mini rears and generally behaved like a loon:mad: :eek:
What can I do? I think they need some turnout - but they just don't seem to enjoy it the moment the sun disappears! They were following me around at lunch time whilst I was poo picking - basically giving me the "can we come in now vibe"!!!! Any suggestions / thoughts?
So sorry for the essay:eek:

LOL!! That is such a funny thread!!! My horse is exactly the same in the winter! I have been given so much advice (all very helpful and fully agree with it) to turn out as much as poss to keep her old legs moving and also because she manages to eat the grass much better than hay BUT she has other ideas and just wants in!! She gets really quite distressed about it! She spends half of her winter turnout time standing at the gate looking miserable and whinying to me, therefore not eating the bl**dy grass at all!!!

How far away are the stables from the grazing? If the stables are right beside the grazing could you set it up so you could leave the stable doors open for them to wander in and out as they please? Or if they are going to be sulky you could just turnout for half hour in the morning before you go to work and then again in the evening (albeit dark) when you are mucking out?? Would that be an option?

It sounds from your post that your horses' field is a short distance from your stabling, is that correct? If you own your field, would it be possible for you to put in a field shelter, large enough for both your boys to go in? This is a similar situation as I have, although I have three shelters, two of which are also used as stabling in the winter as my old boy must be stabled once he has a winter rug on; he also goes beserk if left out late in winter. The larger of my three shelters is piled with hay twice a day for them to eat whenever they like during that time of year and keeps them sane until I arrive to shut them in their stables at night.

Thanks for the reply Sarchie! Glad somebody understands!!! Its not really an option to turnout near their stables, its just too far away, the only field next to their boxes is really steep - so not an option for Joe (he's old and a bit frail - has a still healing suspensory injury). I think I am going to have to go with the option of turning out for a couple of hours before work - its the best I can do me thinks!
I guess at night I could pop them into the school for a leg stretch - even if its dark, I am going to look into getting some temporary lights (council won't allow proper ones).
During the day I can let them into the school - its right next to their boxes and pretty easy for me to deal with both of them (I have a problem turning out on my own as our winter turnout is quite a way away and really uneven / rocky path and its quite difficult to lead them as a pair). I did once try turning out seperately and it was awful, Joe acted like the world had ended and made so much fuss it was hardly worth it! (I think he thought I'd spirited Storm away!)

It sounds from your post that your horses' field is a short distance from your stabling, is that correct? If you own your field, would it be possible for you to put in a field shelter, large enough for both your boys to go in? This is a similar situation as I have, although I have three shelters, two of which are also used as stabling in the winter as my old boy must be stabled once he has a winter rug on; he also goes beserk if left out late in winter. The larger of my three shelters is piled with hay twice a day for them to eat whenever they like during that time of year and keeps them sane until I arrive to shut them in their stables at night.

Yeah, that would be ideal - I do have some field shelters in one field, but, sadly, its not suitable for the winter (the path leading down to it is awful in the winter, really churned up and just impossible to get up and down). I may have to look to getting the shelters moved - but they are nicely bedded in now and am loathe to move 'em.
In an ideal world I'd have field shelters in every field!:)

Yeah, that would be ideal - I do have some field shelters in one field, but, sadly, its not suitable for the winter (the path leading down to it is awful in the winter, really churned up and just impossible to get up and down). I may have to look to getting the shelters moved - but they are nicely bedded in now and am loathe to move 'em.
In an ideal world I'd have field shelters in every field!:)

What about having some two-to-dust hardcore put down in front of your shelters? I had that done with mine a few years ago and what a fantastic difference it has made. Clear some of the mud back but not all, and shovel and rake the hardcore down. Use the remaining mud to stick it down, sounds ironic but it works. It is also semi-permeable so it doesn't flood. Possible in your situation?

I know just what you mean - my friend and my horses are queuing by the gate to come in at night in the winter, both of us work and can't get them in before 6pm. We have to go from one side of the village to the other, over a small bridge and up a lane and we have to have headlamps on! However, on the flip side, they can't wait to go out after they have been in all night. I think their favorite thing would be a slave to collect them at around 2.30 in the afternoon and really, they would like to go out at around 5am in the morning (6.45am just doesn't cut it!)

I really don't think there is anything that you can do - we all have to work hard to keep them and I think they do adjust - especially if there are no other horses that are being brought in earlier. At our last yard this was a major problem and the thoroughbred that I had at that time used to gallop around non stop and come in completely drenched with sweat under his rug and mud all over him. I used to put this down to the fact that he had raced for many years and so paid £2 a day (grrr...) to have him brought in first!!

My new chap is not so bad, but if you are ten minutes later than 6 at night you have evil faces and prancing down the road!! Horses!!:rolleyes:

What about having some two-to-dust hardcore put down in front of your shelters? I had that done with mine a few years ago and what a fantastic difference it has made. Clear some of the mud back but not all, and shovel and rake the hardcore down. Use the remaining mud to stick it down, sounds ironic but it works. It is also semi-permeable so it doesn't flood. Possible in your situation?

Last winter I tried all sorts of things on that path (its quite long - so some of the things I tried worked out a bit expensive). I put down those field mats, but even they gathered the mud eventually! What made it worse was I had to use the path for the quad bike - it was unavoidable - hopefully this year it won't be so bad as I have a new muck heap (much closer).
I can't put hardcore down as my nowty neighbour reports anything - so much as move a leaf and he will be on me!!!:rolleyes:

IMy new chap is not so bad, but if you are ten minutes later than 6 at night you have evil faces and prancing down the road!! Horses!!:rolleyes:

I am so glad its not just us then!:p I was beginning to think that perhaps the pasture was "boring" for them, or not appetising, or perhaps they were cold? To be honest, I think they could do with living with a retired person, who could be at their beck and call daily:p:D (Prior to OH buying Joe, that is exactly his situation!). Honestly, they have a cheek tho, don't they? I mean, poor horses who don't get any turn out would give their front hooves for some grass in winter!!!!!!

Oh, just wanted to add, to add to my bringing in misery (and of course the horses) we now have a collection of cows and frisky calfs running around!!! Last night, as if it wasn't enough for JOe to buck all the way home, we had to contend with a silly calf which couldn't work out which side of the road it wanted to get to, its mum was on the other side but despite stopping to let it pass it still danced about!!!! Storm was looking dizzy by the time she got back to her box, in fact, so was I, talk about running around in circles...........

Last winter I tried all sorts of things on that path (its quite long - so some of the things I tried worked out a bit expensive). I put down those field mats, but even they gathered the mud eventually! What made it worse was I had to use the path for the quad bike - it was unavoidable - hopefully this year it won't be so bad as I have a new muck heap (much closer).
I can't put hardcore down as my nowty neighbour reports anything - so much as move a leaf and he will be on me!!!:rolleyes:

Sorry, but what's it got to do with your neighbour? What's there to report about laying hardcore?

this is what worked for me; do you have a cement area in the front of your stables? i had a claustrophobic mare who hated coming in, and used to try climb out. I often found her stuck front legs over the stable door. but all of that stopped when i made a pen in front of the stables, divided off from each other so that each horse had an area a bit bigger than the box outside of thier stable, i then tied each door back so they could wander in and out and speak to each other, or stand side my side . i put haynets in thier stables , not outside, so they didnt squabble over the fence, which in our case, was electric. they were happy and content, and on occassion, stayed that way for several days at a time, when it was very wet. i think it more the isolation and boredom that upsets a horse that is stabled for a long time, but this method allows them to interact, and see whats going on, and they have a bit more room to walk in, although mine used to enjoy standing in the open doorway. i have done this with all of my subsequent horses too, and they all enjoy it, far better than being out in a boggy windy field, which is what we have.

whats two-to-dust hardcore?

last year i had to put my 3 yr old in a field with his mum to keep her company for a couple of weeks, but he didnt take the indignity of that for long before he was jumping his way back up the fields to be waiting at his usual gate for me to bring him in at night

im wondering if and when it is going to dawn on my new posh TB mare that she's not going to be fetched in to a shiny stable with grooms fetching and carrying for her, lol :)

Two-to-dust specifies the size of pieces of stone in an amount of quarry spoil. The "two" denotes that the largest bits are two inches in diameter, and "to dust", the smaller bits. It's a good size to use for horses as the pieces tend to be too small to get caught up in most horses' feet.

Edit: And it can also be packed down easier with one of those garden rollers.

thanks for the info

ive never had the need to buy hardcore before, would it come from builders merchants?

there wouldnt be planning issues to putting it in a gateway would there?

there wouldnt be planning issues to putting it in a gateway would there?

Yes, there is - if you have nowty neighbours that make it their business, they can actually report you to the council! (mine already have on several occasions). You have to be very careful about what you do to alter pasture - as it can be often deemed as "permanently changing the landscape". If they want to be really funny about it, putting hardcore down in a gateway can be classed as needing proper permission - and they can make you take it all up again if they really want to.

Sorry, but what's it got to do with your neighbour? What's there to report about laying hardcore?

Well, he spies on us and monitors any activity at all that he classes as needing planning consent! Last year he even noticed when we put field mats down on our little track leading to one of our turnout fields - and later commented that we'd laid some extra top-soil (just did that to tidy things up). If we put hardcore down he'd be up to the council in a flash! Round where we live you just can't get away with putting hardcore down - its classed as permanent - and you need proper consent.

newrider.com