Waterproof and warm..

ladiva

Aug 4, 2009
East Anglia
I am on the lookout for a jacket to ride/do yard stuff in when it is cold/wet.

Are the ones with removable fleece any good or is it better to layer up underneath a thin waterproof only jacket?

There are so many out there i am getting confuddled!

Any recommendations??

I have a horsewear corrib jacket that is warm in itself, but In this snowy weather I've been putting two layers underneath it (normal thickness layers)

eg long sleeved top and a t shirt over

I have a Dublin blouson style jacket that is toasty warm and waterproof - excellent value for money too as I've had mine a few years and it was only about £30. In really cold weather I have a layer or two underneath it (eg yesterday it didn't get above freezing and I wore a polo shirt, my thin Harry Hall bodywarmer and the Dublin).
For when its tanking down though the best thing I have is my Jack Murphy coat. It goes right down to my calves and is just cotton lined so it's good for summer showers (it's breathable) but also great to chuck over your coats in snow and rain in winter. They are also designed to be ridden in :)

I love the Musto combination jacket, has a zip in gilet (http://www.tackandski.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=1243).

I have had mine for about 6 years, so really good value. I wash it with that Nikwax stuff and reproof and it comes up really well.

I layer it up underneath and it keeps me toasty warm, the outer jacket is also windproof as well.

I can then wear the jacket alone on warmer wet days without having to get another waterproof coat for the summer.

It hasn't leaked yet and got me wet, so a big thumbs up.

Well i braved the sales and tried on a couple of jackets in random outdoorsey type shops, to get a feel for them.

As usual when looking for long sleeved tops the ones i tried on where too short in the arm! It appears i am like an orangutan!!:(

My armpit to wrist measurement is about 55cm.
Strange request...would you be so kind as to measure your jackets for me to see if any are long enough!
I am a size 12/14 and really dont want to get a huge size to fit the arms!!

If i have to i will look at the mens jackets but was hoping for a jacket that fits in the right places!!

Many thanks in advance x

newrider.com