Waterproof jods or Xmas pressie ideas

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I need to tell OH what I’d like for Christmas and for the life of me I can’t think what it is that I want. One idea is waterproof warm breeches so I’d be interested in any recommendations. I know there was something else I really wanted though but it’s gone completely out of my head. It was definitely something horsey and too expensive for me to justify spending the money on, but a luxury item ideal for a gift. Anyone got any gift ideas that might jog my memory?

Reactions: PePo
Was it @Lissie who mentioned hunting proof breaches before, I seem to remember someone on here having recommendations.
I'm hoping to get Jess some Back on Track stuff with my Xmas money, I've ummed and Ahhed for ages but I've seen it recommended lots by friends and some vets now as being beneficial for healing and anything I can do to help her is a good thing I guess, especially as she seems to have become the princess with the pea.

Reactions: PePo
I've heard great things about Kingsland waterproof riding breeches @Bodshi If I hadn't already got things on my list, I'd have asked for a pair (I have Decathalon Kipwarm's which are brilliant, just not quite as posh a brand :D )

I've asked for Parelli featherlight long lines so I can do more long lining, sheepskin saddle seat cover & lots of riding socks as all my pairs seem to have worn out at the same time :D

Was it @Lissie who mentioned hunting proof breaches before, I seem to remember someone on here having recommendations.
I'm hoping to get Jess some Back on Track stuff with my Xmas money, I've ummed and Ahhed for ages but I've seen it recommended lots by friends and some vets now as being beneficial for healing and anything I can do to help her is a good thing I guess, especially as she seems to have become the princess with the pea.

Yes, I think @Lissie did mention hunting breeches and I think it may have been them that I wanted actually. Not sure now though, because knowing my luck I'd get them and never go hunting again - it's not looking great at the moment with Raf's cellulitis. By the time he's (hopefully) recovered he won't be fit enough to go hunting :( Princess with the pea is such a good description - I think Raf must be the prince with the pea. This year when he's been clipped he was so sensitive, never used to be as bad as that - not naughty but the clipper thought the blades must be hot because he was flinching away all the time. They weren't, he was just very reactive. I wondered if it had something to do with his Cushings. The Back on Track stuff looks interesting, but I think I'll let you try it out first :p Raf is so sensitive with seams, I can only have wool against his skin for a numnah or he gets rubs. Boots have to be seamless too - luckily for me (most unusually) it's the cheap boots that tend to have no seams. So I'm reluctant to change anything that I know works for us.

I've heard great things about Kingsland waterproof riding breeches @Bodshi If I hadn't already got things on my list, I'd have asked for a pair (I have Decathalon Kipwarm's which are brilliant, just not quite as posh a brand :D )

Thanks, I will have a look at Kingsland. I did wonder about the Kipwarms too - I'm not bothered about being posh (I end up covered in mud and hay no matter how 'posh' I try to be) but I suppose for a present it would be nice ... riding socks is an excellent idea too, that was definitely one of the things I thought of and then forgot - ideal present for one (or all) of the kids to get me.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes, I think @Lissie This year when he's been clipped he was so sensitive, never used to be as bad as that - not naughty but the clipper thought the blades must be hot because he was flinching away all the time. They weren't, he was just very reactive. I wondered if it had something to do with his Cushings. The Back on Track stuff looks interesting, but I think I'll let you try it out first :p Raf is so sensitive with seams, I can only have wool against his skin for a numnah or he gets rubs. Boots have to be seamless too - luckily for me (most unusually) it's the cheap boots that tend to have no seams. So I'm reluctant to change anything that I know works for us.
Jess is weird, sensitive but stoic and generally non reactive, today I was glad of that. I rode after clipping, wondered why she was a bit keen.....
DSC_1733.JPG
I'll feedback on the back on track stuff :)

Jess is weird, sensitive but stoic and generally non reactive, today I was glad of that. I rode after clipping, wondered why she was a bit keen.....
View attachment 96014
I'll feedback on the back on track stuff :)

Oh my goodness, bless her for being so stoic! If that was attached to Raf I would know all about it, he would think he was dying :eek:

Reactions: Jessey
I've got the HY waterproof, windproof, fleece lined breeches. Life savers out hunting. They are high waisted too which I like as I can tuck my layers in and keep my back warm, I sound about 80 lol.

I've got the HY waterproof, windproof, fleece lined breeches.
I've got a pair of waterproof, windproof, fleece lined breeches too, mine were a sample about 6 years ago from my friend who works at Aldi, they sadly never made it to production, I don't hunt, but they are a lifesaver simply out hacking in the winter. I wish I could get another pair so may have to go for the HY ones instead.

@Lissie what do the HY breeches fit like please? Are they fairly true to size, Ive got skinny legs, a skinny bum and a fat belly! I sound hideous don't I lol, mummy tummy is the pits sometimes.

They fit pretty standard I'd say, they're quite hippy but ok. They work for me. I think toggi do some that look good. Mark todds don't look as high waisted which I like. Or Primark have fleecy plush lined leggings you could wear under jods, quite a few people do this out hunting. I love my Rambo fleece lined long chaps, live in them from November to March, just wish I could wear them hunting!! They are very warm and keep you dry.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
They're not waterproof but I have the Decathlon Accessy fleece-lined jods from Decathlon and they are fab for keeping you warm. For £17.99 they are well worth the money.

They're not waterproof but I have the Decathlon Accessy fleece-lined jods from Decathlon and they are fab for keeping you warm. For £17.99 they are well worth the money.
Thanks domane, it was your recommendation for summer jods that got me the best pair ever, they are from decathlon too. You sure you don't work for them? ;)

newrider.com