We have a diagnosis.

So sorry to read 😔 Whatever you decide will be the right thing to do for him of that I am certain. Sending you the biggest gentlest hug. X

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I don’t come on here very often, however saw your post and just wanted to say so sorry about Ben. We all know how much you’ve done for him and how much you adore him.

I am going through a similar sort of thing with Finn, he had to have hock surgery in 2019 to resolve some lameness issues. And now we are also facing suspected EORTH. Although Finn’s is showing in his canines and not in the incisors. My vet has said that the canines are not easy to remove and will require him to go to the clinic for X-rays etc. They have said that the recovery shouldn’t be too bad if they do have to remove all 4 x though. I have the same concerns in regards to box rest as Finns dodgy leg can’t cope with long term box rest. From what I’ve heard they do recover quite quickly and cope ok without the teeth.

I don’t come on here very often, however saw your post and just wanted to say so sorry about Ben. We all know how much you’ve done for him and how much you adore him.

I am going through a similar sort of thing with Finn, he had to have hock surgery in 2019 to resolve some lameness issues. And now we are also facing suspected EORTH. Although Finn’s is showing in his canines and not in the incisors. My vet has said that the canines are not easy to remove and will require him to go to the clinic for X-rays etc. They have said that the recovery shouldn’t be too bad if they do have to remove all 4 x though. I have the same concerns in regards to box rest as Finns dodgy leg can’t cope with long term box rest. From what I’ve heard they do recover quite quickly and cope ok without the teeth.
I'm sorry to hear about Finn, I hope that he recovers quickly from the tooth extractions if that is what you decide to go with. I haven't heard of EORTH in the canines either, but from reading about the function of these teeth it seems that horses do indeed cope well without them. Apparently the canines in horses don't really have a function as they don't aid in the collection or the chewing of food. I really hope surgery is successful if this is what you do. x

Reactions: Vicki100
newrider.com