We have a new saddle . . . yay!

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
After not riding for three loooooooooong weeks, the saddler came out today and . . . Kali has a brand new leather GP saddle (oh and a new girth and stirrup leathers).

The really sad thing is that the saddler reckons his old one (which he came with) probably never fitted him properly . . . he just got fed up enough to throw a strop and let me know once he changed shape. I feel soooo bad.

It's clear that he remembers the discomfort because when I got on to try the first saddle he lifted his back and threatened to run off . . . but when he realized it didn't hurt he relaxed and went very sweetly. I tried three . . . a Jeffries, a Jaguar and a Kent & Masters . . . the Kent & Masters suited us both (very comfy) so that's what I went with. He looks sooo smart in it and when I had my lesson later this morning he felt so much more free and was so much more willing to go forward. As for me, I didn't have that horrid "perched on top" feeling and felt much more secure and confident. Oh, and the bonus is that it's an adjustable saddle . . . saddler is coming out in three months to check that if the gullet needs changing.

I'm sooooo chuffed. And it was wonderful to be back on him again (if a little nerve-wracking at first).

The last thing I have to mention is that my fellow livery (owner of the very lovely Will) was incredibly kind and supportive and helpful (rushed about finding stirrup leathers, girths, etc. when we found the ones we have didn't work with the new saddle) and offered to canter him for the saddler when I went all weak-kneed (despite never having been on him before) . . . not only was she a gem and the epitome of kindness to me, but she fell in love with my boy . . . he went very sweetly for her and she even said she found his canter rhythmical so all that schooling has obviously paid off (his canter used to be appalling).

A very good day :D

Will take pics of the handsome boy in his new work clothes tomorrow.

N

newrider.com