We shall not, we shall not be moved.........

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Well there are still no whispers of any more stables becoming available so I'm going to use tonight's poor weather to do a dry-run (although that should be "wet" run because of the weather forecast!) of stable-sharing so that I know how much time I have to allow at the yard on the mornings that I work. Jack and Joe will come in overnight and then in the morning Albi and Boo will come in for the day. I can't keep delaying putting them onto a winter feeding regime and wait even longer on the off-chance that not just one, but TWO stables come up, just because I don't *want* the faff of stable sharing. I need to don my brave pants and venture back into the mucking out regime. :oops: Whilst there is still stuff to eat in their field, they are now perfecting their "hungry cob" faces and whilst they all could do with losing a few pounds, I'm starting to feel selfish! :p

So Joe will be shut in tonight and I shall walk away quick-smart so that I don't have to witness him learning to settle. I'm hoping that a couple of nets stuffed full of fresh hay will be enough of a distraction whilst I drive miles away! haha..... And then in the morning I will do a quick turnaround to let the babies come in for the day to stuff hay too.....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well there are still no whispers of any more stables becoming available so I'm going to use tonight's poor weather to do a dry-run (although that should be "wet" run because of the weather forecast!) of stable-sharing so that I know how much time I have to allow at the yard on the mornings that I work. Jack and Joe will come in overnight and then in the morning Albi and Boo will come in for the day. I can't keep delaying putting them onto a winter feeding regime and wait even longer on the off-chance that not just one, but TWO stables come up, just because I don't *want* the faff of stable sharing. I need to don my brave pants and venture back into the mucking out regime. :oops: Whilst there is still stuff to eat in their field, they are now perfecting their "hungry cob" faces and whilst they all could do with losing a few pounds, I'm starting to feel selfish! :p

So Joe will be shut in tonight and I shall walk away quick-smart so that I don't have to witness him learning to settle. I'm hoping that a couple of nets stuffed full of fresh hay will be enough of a distraction whilst I drive miles away! haha..... And then in the morning I will do a quick turnaround to let the babies come in for the day to stuff hay too.....

Lol I know the hungry cob face!!!
So the stable share is just between your own horses? Not a fellow livery?
I'm sure you'll get used to mucking out again - I had to embrace it this morning as our pair had been in most of the night, despite their still being rich pickings in the paddock. They aren't short of grass - just mard about the rain!

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Yes, you can have one on grass livery, as long as you already have one with a stable..... so you can rotate. As I have four and two stables, we will be space-sharing! I am top of the list for two more stables, purely from a time factor on my work mornings. With the yard a 20-minute drive away, we're talking 40 minutes of just driving time before you factor in breakfasts, haynet changes, muck outs and turnouts and bringing in. If I get two more stables, they will all come in at night and on the days I work I will pay the yard girl to turn them all out for me so I don't have to get up in the dark! Hey.... I'm old and like my bed on cold winter mornings.....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Yes, you can have one on grass livery, as long as you already have one with a stable..... so you can rotate. As I have four and two stables, we will be space-sharing! I am top of the list for two more stables, purely from a time factor on my work mornings. With the yard a 20-minute drive away, we're talking 40 minutes of just driving time before you factor in breakfasts, haynet changes, muck outs and turnouts and bringing in. If I get two more stables, they will all come in at night and on the days I work I will pay the yard girl to turn them all out for me so I don't have to get up in the dark! Hey.... I'm old and like my bed on cold winter mornings.....

Hehehee, I know what you mean about cold winter mornings! Trouble is, I can hear mine and they send me on a guilt trip. Even if I am sleeping at the house they will whinny and I can see them from the bathroom. There is no escape! So funny atm they clatter back down the yard and snort at the caravan windows!!!