We went down to the woods today.........

BlackBess

Feb 27, 2008
Story so far - very nervous rider, very low on confidence meets confidence giving horse on part loan (apart from occasional napping). Too scared to ride out alone so OH has been coming as foot soldier, moved yards to an area where hacking is all off road.

Last week, attempted 1st hack in new area, with OH as usual - ended in disaster due to a massive row with OH.

Today - attempt no. 2 WITHOUT OH. Nearly didn't go as my nerves were getting the better of me but I got to the yard and got ready to go. Thought I would just go for 5 mins and then head back but somehow we made it to the end of the lane, then onto the road, then onto a bridlepath which went through the local woods. Horse's ears are spinning round in all directions and he's excited and then I realise that for the first time in ages, I'm not thinking about possible accidents or how cr*p I am. I AM THOROUGHLY ENJOYING MYSELF and just love being with this horse and riding him through the woods. Then, we came to a hill and I could feel him wanting to canter and I'm thinking "Oh no, I can't do this, what am I going to do?". I could see it was safe for a canter but I couldn't get the nerves to do it, as all I kept thinking was how to best explain to my OH where we were when he had to come and find me when I'd fall off. Horse, bless him, didn't move as if to say it was alright not to have a canter. But I could tell he really wanted to and then something came over me and the next thing, I ASKED FOR CANTER!!!!!!!!!! Off we went, flying up the hill, through the trees and I'm still on, I'm not clinging on for dear life but I felt like for the first time in my life, I was actually riding. Then it struck me that I had to ask for the brakes, so panic again, but horse had second guessed me and slowed down at the exact point I was going to ask (spooky!!). We finished off our ride in the woods and headed back and I jumped off and led him the last mile home and we had a lovely stroll along the lane back to the yard, just really enjoying each other's company. Anyway, sorry, bit of a pointless thread, but I just wanted to post because I'm bursting with pride, I am so, so proud of this horse and I love him to bits and I'm so glad his owner gave me the chance to know him. I got home a few hours late and when my OH asked where I had been, I actually managed to say "I've been out hacking this morning" (aching all over and then collapsed on the sofa).:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Many thanks for taking the time to read this (if you get to the end!!!!!).

Well done you for all you have accomplished on your ride - you should be more then proud! So glad you enjoyed yourself:D well done to mr horsey for giving you your smile back

Superb-huge congrats from a fellow nervous (been chucked off too much by v spooky TB!) hacker! Roll on! Wish I could get the guts up but feeling inspired by you so more from you and some piccies!

newrider.com