weak leg muscles

It depends on what parts are weak and need strengthening.

Side lying Clams are mostly the best place to start as they build core strength, along with developing glutes and reduce inward rotation of the knee.

Squats, cycling, skipping, lunges are all good.

I quite like the 30 day shred workouts - short but do a bit of everything :)

I highly recommend cycling!

I ripped apart my thigh muscle in an accident when I was nine. It healed nicely but my leg was very weak, I had pain and a limp. Any instructor could tell as soon as I got on a horse that I had a previous injury.

Started cycling daily 2 years ago and the change in my leg has been amazing, no pain, no limp, no weakness or collapsing whatsoever. My last instructor said my weak leg was actually my injury free leg!

My leg was even strong enough to start running and I did a half marathon last summer and did some 100 mile bike rides,all pain free.

Running and cycling, they will do the whole leg, and they are cheaper than going to the gym!

Lauren, I sympathise. I had exactly the same problem and the trouble is most of the exercises you do as part of a conventional exercise class (well the sort I went to anyway) help build strength on the front/back of your legs, but not the inside where you need it for riding. The only exercise I found any good was riding itself, but then I didn't try running. I did a lot of cycling before I had Raf, but although my calves got quite big and firm it was all on the back and I had no strength on the inside. I think different people put on muscle in different places though.

At Pilates we do inner thigh lifts which probably strengthen your inner thighs, it's not a quick fix though and as you are much younger and fitter I expect you will want an exercise that may require more exertion but which has more immediate results. Happy running!

I find running on concrete aggravates my old knee injuries so I struggle. I do cardio and strength type gym classes with lots of squats and lunges (you can look up all the different variations online and do them in the comfort of your own home). My legs are physically quite strong but I find that for riding it is a totally different set of muscles. I would invest in an exercise ball (you can pick them up for less than £10) and work on core strength (there are also moves you can do that will help strengthen your core). My weak legs are actually more of a result of poor core strength than weak leg muscles themselves... I think anyway!

newrider.com