Weaning Day...

ponynut

CORSEWALL LASS
Oct 14, 2001
Yorkshire
Visit site
Tomorrow is the day- sleepless night for me:

Kizzy will be parted from Mum and put in her own cosy stable while Tarot goes back out with the others half a mile away. I dread the walk from her loved field to her new home. I know they are ready to part. Kizzy wants to explore while Tarot bites her when she comes to suckle.

On the positive we will be able to play with Kizzy without Mum in the way. She loves to play and learn.
I have bought her .a boredom breaker as a weaning toy.

Feel better for getting this out.
But I will have to muck out on Christmas Day- my others live out!
Can't wait- quality time with foal :)

If it's her first stay in a stable don't panic when she tries to jump out!! Be strong - you know it's the best thing for her. Good that they already want to separate, that at least makes it a bit easier - but like all kids she'll panic when she realises she's on her own - tat's where your quality time comes in. Have fun!

I have put her in a stable on her own before now but not the one she will be in.
She thinks they are great- feed buckets live in them.

I now know how parents feel when they leave their four year olds with me first day!!! I want to cry!!!:(

ponyvet- how is your ever so cute weanling going?

Good luck ponynut, I'm sure your little one will be fine, just like the four year olds are:)

My baby is doing great. Will post some more pics soon, when I can get her to stand still and pose!!

She's recently discovered how to eat apples - before she would only have them cut up (right little lady that she is! - snob!) but now she's figured out you can bite them. better the apple than me I say!

She's still going out for daily walks and is doing well. I'm trying to get her in the habit of being worked (albeit gently) so that it's natural for her when the time comes.

She seems to be growing a lot bigger than we expected, especially as we know both parents and she's taller than them both already! :eek:

Am now thinking about getting another foal next year - I'm getting the hang of this!so watch out - the foal bug has bitten!:D

Thought I'd just let you all see a picture of how she's going - on her way across the field for her christmas dinner (of apple, carrot, polo, molasses and bran mash cake).

I know the field is awful! far too much mud and she's been doing far too much rolling in it!

Attachments

• penny in field.jpg
    penny in field.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 71
AAAAW!:cool: Glad she is doing and eating well!
So cute! (My grown up equines live in similar bog-like stuff!)
Kizzy is doing OK too! Settling to grown up life fine (except she is plstered in molasses from her lick-it -as is my bodywarmer and her stable walls!!)
I want to put her mum to a TB but I won't -addictive these foals!

newrider.com