Wearing breeches

GatoMessi

Oct 2, 2021
Hi again. I am not asking similar question to some recent posting about "What should men wear for riding? (or to swim)"

I have been riding since the beginning of July and still wore jeans. Anyway I've recently bought a pair of breeches and have yet to wear them. I am concerned about the winter is coming, and will be too cold for me to wear breeches, until there are something underneath. I saw from online that there are tights for men. I want to know if they are underneath for breeches / Jodhpurs? And, do male riders wear them underneath even in the summer?

I have no idea regards to men, but i wear running leggings under jodphurs or jeans in the winter when its cold. You could look at mens cycling leggings although they are padded on the bottom for cycling. But theres no reason you couldnt wear under breeches. Nobody really cares in the winter. I prefer to be warm not care what it looks like. Nobody will see them underneath.

I know men who wear tights or leggings underneath breeches for warmth, or I expect there are men's winter breeches that are made of thicker material and/or fleece lined. Obviously mine are women's but I have winter ones that are fleece lined and water repellent that can almost be a bit too warm except in very cold weather. Something like these https://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.u...mens-winter-performance-breeches--navy__33349 but it's worth keeping an eye on various online sites such as Derby House, Hope Valley, Eileen Douglas, Robinsons, Wychanger - there are loads!

Reactions: GatoMessi
I've never been cold enough actually riding to require either fleece lined breeches or thick jodhs. I used to get cold working on the yard where I lived (much lower temps than where we are now) and the only solution for that was wearing over-trousers (waterproof ones). However, I am veering off there - I wouldn't have thought riding in two pairs of anything is comfortable? Maybe that's just me with my short legs lol I'm guessing longer slender legs would cope better with extra bulk. Riding always warmed me up - I honestly never felt particularly cold. Sorry no help at all, just wanted to join in lol Edited to add; just asked mr trews and he agrees - he's never felt the necessity to wear two pairs of jodhs for riding in either. Though he did once say he'd like the waterproof jodhs that they used to make (not sure they are still available).

Reactions: Huggy and GatoMessi
I just wear breeches and find them ok without an extra layer. One of the options for warmth if you do get cold is full chaps like these which are also normally wind and waterproof. I think that breeches are warmer than jeans as they are actually right on your legs.

Cross posted. You may find that riding breeches are warmer than jeans to ride in?

In USA we were told that men tourists going on long trail rides are sometimes recommended to wear tights, possibly ladies' tights, under their jeans to prevent the jeans seams from rubbing.
Some Wranglers jeans are designed for riding and have smoother inner leg seams. But my OH (male) had fragile skin and in the end I had to buy him quite expensive Pikeur breeches to solve the problem of his breeches rubbing.
The rubbing problem comes mainly if you are sitting to the trot, either in Western or classical riding.

But it depends how fragile your skin is. With older people it can be a problem and you can help that by rubbing in cream or lotion after you shower or bath.

In UK neither of us wore tights under our jeans. We both own thin thermal underwear like long johns and so in very cold weather we wore them instead. OH bought his for an arctic trip. But we rode English and always wore our thermals under riding breeches.

There is a big difference in feel between English and USA Western riding. Riding English style one benefits from close and sensitive contact between ones legs and the sides of the horse. And I find that breeches and long boots (or boots and half chaps) are better for that than jeans.

When I started to ride someone suggested that I should get used to riding in all sorts of clothing, including a long mac which keeps one's thighs dry. The advice was good, to try different ways and discover what suits you. You will aso find that some people like Gary B here look very smart when they ride. And some of us like myself, potter about in RS high viz looking windswept and wet.

If you feel the cold, I really recommend thermal underwear from Uniqlo. Their thermal legs are fine enough to fit under breeches but really insulate you against the cold. Cheap too! Top spec.

Reactions: GatoMessi and Huggy
I've never found my legs get cold - just my hands and feet! I suppose the usual thing applies - the good old layer theory. I do wear at least 3 layers if it's cold - long sleeved t shirt, sweater, and jacket. If really cold, I top up with another sweater, but neglect my legs! I suppose being next to the horse's warmth does the job.

A lot of it depends on whether you feel the cold.

I'm not a man but do feel the cold. It doesn't help our yard is exposed & appears to be in a wind tunnel of it's own!

I'm currently riding in fleece lined riding tights, a fleece headband underneath my riding hat along, a buff to keep my neck warm. I schooled with my friend this morning and she was wearing a long sleeved t-shirt and possibly a lightweight gilet šŸ¤£

As it gets colder I'll add either thermal tights or leggings underneath my riding tights and if it gets really cold, I have fleece lined waterproof riding trousers & a long duvet style coat I ride in too :D Personally, I find it's my legs that get the coldest - especially my thighs.

Base layers are definitely your friend. I wear a lot of ski, sport and outdoor brands which I think help regulate body temperature. I'd never ride in a polo shirt anymore, for example, as I find they make me colder in the long run

I'm seriously considering a dry robe they use for outdoor swimming/triathlons etc to wear after riding whilst sorting out the horse as that's the bit I really feel the cold. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to say goodbye to my last remaining bit of dignity though :D

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and GatoMessi
Yes you can absolutely add tights if you find yourself chilly in just breeches, and given how shapeless the womens ones are I suspect it's the exact same product in the mens box! My thighs get freezing on long rides in winter, and that thin extra layer really can make all the difference, the tip for tights I got from an old time cowboy before we hit the trails in -30c temps (-20 something F), and having 2 layers will also reduce rubbing.

• Wow
Layering does help: I've worn thermals or tights under breeches when it's got really cold. I also have some fleece-lined waterproof jods from Decathlon: these are kind of plasticky in appearance but they are very comfy and snug. I see some people on yards wearing sweat pants over their jods as well, but I'm not working outdoors with the horses all day so it's not really a problem.

Layers work well for me as well. In the coldest winter months when I was hacking out my horse in walk only (due to his severe arthritis) I would wear a pair of leggings, normal jods and then musto full chaps on top. And even then I sometimes got cold. I found it was my hands that felt the cold the most - decent winter riding gloves are well worth investing in.

I have thermals. OH was the first to get them when he went to Antarctica. My OH is not large so we are roughly the same size.

newrider.com