Weatherbeeta rugs - Softmesh Combo vs Fly Shield

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Decided that I might try another fly rug this year. I can't afford a Boett, and there is no way in hell I'm having a Masta again, they just don't fit him.

I love my Weatherbeeta rugs (won't have anything else!), so I've got a choice of the Softmesh Combo or the Fly Shield.

I can't remember the last time I saw them in person, and I don't think I've ever had one out of the bag. Price isn't an issue, I'd rather spend £48 on the flyshield and get the better rug than spend £34 on something naff.

Anybody got either of these and have opinions on them?

I bought a cheaper Weatherbeeta fly sheet and it fell to pieces in weeks. Unsure if it was that softmesh one in the picture - I doubt it as I think that one you are looking at might be better made. I've seen horses with that white harder mesh one, and they seemed to last well without ripping.

I'd go for the fly-shield, as it looks much softer and clingier - I've heard some horror stories of horses getting flys stuck UNDER the stiffer rugs :eek:

Been there done that with the flies underneath. It was a Masta with a flexineck. I thought it was absolutely rubbish and it really put me off. I don't use Masta anything anymore - they rubbed his mane and his chest and after the incident with the flies obviously just aren't the right shape for him.

But he's been annoyed by the flies already this year, and I really don't want to keep him in during the day unless I have to, so I thought I'd try the dreaded fly rug again.

I think I'm 99% decided on going for the more expensive of the two, looks like it would reflect the heat better as well as being better against the flies. Whichever I go for I'll need to get the neck altered though. :rolleyes:

newrider.com