Weekend Thread

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Don't think I have ever started one of these, so here goes.

What are you guys up, horsey or other.

I am planning on setting up an small obstacle course at the field.
I may longrein over it and then ride, or whatever.

Ideas are weave with cones
Pretend bridge, narrow log,
Downhill
Branches and log
Might get more ideas come the morning, but the beauty of here is I don't need to pack it all away again. :)

May hack out, if I wake up early enough to avoid traffic, failing that could be a picnic one of the days at the field.

Reactions: Bodshi
Sunday we've got our first ever pilates session down the yard. Which should be interesting! Otherwise not much going on, I'm off work next week and can't wait, even though I won't be doing much

Reactions: Bodshi
Hoping to go out in the box for a hack somewhere tomorrow. It's that time of year again where you don't want to be on the roads, as there's combines in the fields and tractors flying up and down the lanes like honey bees attending to their queen ... I'm really fancying a ride over open moorland in the Peak District, but see how early I get organised and what the weather's like. I've got a couple of other options if we don't make that one.

I love my little trot pole menagery. Like you say its great when you dont have to clear it all away after a session.

Ive got cones layed on there side like trot poles but they add width. I use as trot poles or i can weave and bend in and out of them. Ive got some broken poles that i tidied up the ends so they are skinnies at only 4ft wide and just on the floor, so helps with accuracy. Ive got a few jumps laid out. Ive alse got trot poles raised up on tyres. I change there pattern frequently to keep billy on his toes. And ive got my logs.

Yes that was me tonight on my tractor. Hauled 3 trailer loads. Over 500 bales. Wasnt a bad guesstimate. We finished hauling hay at 11pm tonight. Getting up at 5am to go and off load the trailers before it rains. Although when that will be i dont know. 4 different forecasts all show different rain times.

Saturday afternoon i plan to recover. Ride later on. Move boys onto new grass paddock. Finish ragworting in there current one. Theres not loads but it keeps flowering at different times. I thought i got it all on my second session. But after it rained last week, i spotted more bits.

Ive also got a paddock thats got those massive thistles with sharp spikes. I want to cut all those off and pick them up to go on a bonfire before they go to seed.

Sunday i want to go for another long hack with billy.

Hoping to go out in the box for a hack somewhere tomorrow. It's that time of year again where you don't want to be on the roads, as there's combines in the fields and tractors flying up and down the lanes like honey bees attending to their queen ... I'm really fancying a ride over open moorland in the Peak District, but see how early I get organised and what the weather's like. I've got a couple of other options if we don't make that one.
The only tractor I have seen here is ours. There are none of the contractors flying up and down the roads anymore.

Cloudy here.

I love my little trot pole menagery. Like you say its great when you dont have to clear it all away after a session.

Ive got cones layed on there side like trot poles but they add width. I use as trot poles or i can weave and bend in and out of them. Ive got some broken poles that i tidied up the ends so they are skinnies at only 4ft wide and just on the floor, so helps with accuracy. Ive got a few jumps laid out. Ive alse got trot poles raised up on tyres. I change there pattern frequently to keep billy on his toes. And ive got my logs.

Yes that was me tonight on my tractor. Hauled 3 trailer loads. Over 500 bales. Wasnt a bad guesstimate. We finished hauling hay at 11pm tonight. Getting up at 5am to go and off load the trailers before it rains. Although when that will be i dont know. 4 different forecasts all show different rain times.

Saturday afternoon i plan to recover. Ride later on. Move boys onto new grass paddock. Finish ragworting in there current one. Theres not loads but it keeps flowering at different times. I thought i got it all on my second session. But after it rained last week, i spotted more bits.

Ive also got a paddock thats got those massive thistles with sharp spikes. I want to cut all those off and pick them up to go on a bonfire before they go to seed.

Sunday i want to go for another long hack with billy.
Any photos as always looking for ideas. I have a pole shortage now as I only own three plus a gate post.

The hay is all away in the shed. Whoopi. Just recovering now. Waiting for the next weather window. Which might be end of next week to do the next lot.

@newforest Ive only got 8 of the poly block wings and two poly poles. The rest of my poles are all rustic ones. There only 8ft fence struts, that we were supposed to use for fencing. I commandeered them for jump poles.Think ive got about 10 of those.

Fence struts work out alot cheaper than buying jump poles. You could get creative with a can of paint or two if you want coloured poles.

Tried this pole layout recently to stop billy rushing. Good for teaching us both to balance and bending. Ive added the tyres as billy kept hitting the poles, there a little higher now and stay stable. As i leave them set up in the field having them raised also stops them sitting directly on the ground going rotten.

IMG_20200514_103654.jpg

This is great for chunky. He puts his front feet up on both pallets and then i get him to say please with alternate legs. So he has to keep shifting his weight, whilst also standing on an angle. The pallets are plastic and pretty solidly built ones. I wouldnt use wooden ones they would break to easy under the weight.

IMG_20200222_151301.jpg

Stepping over ground poles. Touching cone, and on some sheeting.

IMG_20200211_081644.jpg

Not a fan of this as its too overwhelming for horse and rider at present. I can do this in an arena but not on the grass. We get in such a pickle.

IMG_20181219_080927454.jpg

I like the orange cones point to point or slightly over lapping. Its just different to the poles and really makes you work at staying straight on skinnies.

IMG_20180904_192100816.jpg

I haven't got any noodles as yet. Will foam blow away?

This is all I set up today as hacked out.
But I hope it will help us arrive straight at that log beyond it.
If I was really creative I could make that into an owl hole, it's already a hole.
_20200801_162623.JPG

Id really like some of those red blocks only in purple, but there probably expensive. Will have to check now. Goes off to google. Sure theyd be lighter than moving tyres and cones, and they look more the part. But my tyres and cones were free. All swings and roundabouts i guess.

I got them in the sale. £73, they have the two shots for poles. I sold off my large polyjumps.
I weigh up the cost against how much I use something.
I have these as well and find them ideal for marking out a 20x40 ish space with a cone for C.

newrider.com