Well it had to happen I fell off ginger A&E here we came

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
OH was with me Ginger was jumping great clean and clear. just popped it up to 65cm and he caught the pole with his back hoof scared himself on landing and bucked twice, only small sat the first but just lost the second I went up very high and over him vertical came down on left foot very hard ouch:help: rolled out.

All my weight went on the left ankle. I laid there for a bot Ginger just stood and stared at me. My fault he went in a bit deep. After about five minute I had a leg up as could not stand had to remove the stirrups as I could not out my foot in it and popped a smaller cross pole. just so I knew we were both OK with jumping still.

I I rode back to the barn and steve held me off. Boot off, ankle swelling straight away, popped in a bucket cold water but not helping so off to A&E we went.

Had an xray and the doctor was shocked that it was not broken as the you could not actually see my ankle at all. But just tendon and ligments.

Gutted will post pictures tomorrow.

Once again, I take my hat off to you - for getting back on after a fall. I know you're supposed to, but it takes guts.

Sorry about your ankle but glad it wasn't worse. Healing vibes on the way.

Oh no:((( OBC please let us know how you are... So hard but such s good move to get back on after despite the awful pain there must have been:/.. Hats off to you brave lady!! Wishing you all the best and sending lots of get well hugs xxx

Very sensible to get an X-ray. I am glad it wasnt broken, as they might have threatened you with plaster. But I beg you to give yourself time to recover. Soft tissue injury takes 6 weeks to repair says my RI. and when the swelling goes down, you may need some physio to restore balance and flexibility.

You probably have access to good medical advice via your job. But my experience is that if you take care of the recovery now, even when it might not seem necessary, it will pay off and spare you from feeling it far in the future, and hopefully prevent that ankle hurting after heavy exercise, or even if you dismount clumsily onto it. My GP is always very gloomy about ankles never being entirely mended! So I took the exercises, balancing etc. very seriously.

Skib's words are wise, I never took recovery seriously after I strained some and broke two in my foot. They've never healed properly even 7 years later :cry:

All the best with your recovery x

Oh no, poor you (and poor Ginger for getting a fright). Hope it doesn't hurt too much but even more I hope that you soon mend. An injury is bad enough for anyone, but for someone as fit and active as you I'd imagine it would be even more of a PIA, especially as I think you have to keep yourself fit because of a medical condition? I hope you manage to work something out that will both keep you fit and allow your ankle to heal properly. I imagine that 6 weeks total box rest would drive you crazy!

Oh no, how frustrating for you. I fear that is going to take a while to heal! As we know with horses, tendons and ligaments take a lot longer than bone!! :frown: Try to be patient, you need your ankles to support you for the rest of your life! xx

Last edited:
Owch! I echo what others have said, make sure you let your ankle heal. I strained my ankle over 3 years ago, I heard the ligaments snap:mask:, it still gives me the odd twinge now and then, mostly when running.

Well done for getting back on and popping another!:biggrin:

Oh heck! Take it easy and follow your doctors advice to the letter! Really hope it heals quickly and properly. Massive sympathy vibes to you. Txxxxx

Thanks for the nice messages. Currently sat in bed with a ice pack feeling very sorry for myself.

Always the way, I have one hell of a couple of weeks planned before we leave with comps, dinners and parties.

I promise to let it rest this weekend and see how it goes.

I have however cancelled my race on Wednesday .

Ow, I was wincing reading that. Echoing what the others have said, short term inconvenience with physio and appropriate resting etc for long term gain and get full mobility back. Not easy for someone as active as you I know!

Hope feels less sore very soon and thank goodness your OH was there when it happenned!

Ouch! At least nothing is broken, however I do think that tendons and ligaments can be just as long healing if not longer than a break. Look after yourself and take it easy, the more you follow doctors orders the quicker you will be back in the saddle.:smile:

Ouch !!! Ditto others what bad timing ! I hope u make a quick and good recovery x

newrider.com