Well Joey had Dan Wilson today

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Well Joey had Dan out today to do some work with him, Unfortunately Joey is going to need a hell of a lot more work and I have my work cut out for the next few months but at least Dan has now seen Joey and is able to keep me going in the right direction.
Dan and Michelle agreed with me that Joey is in no way malicious and he doesn't want to hurt anyone he just wants people to not hurt him (when rearing and striking out Joey will always make sure he turns away so as not to make contact) Dan thinks humans have done terrible tihngs to Joey at some point including kicking hitting etc as Joey is so reactive to any movement you make. Joey remained on guard throughout the whole session and although exhausted by the end of it all he still wanted to put up a fight. I am unable to ride Joey again until I have built up his trust in humans on the ground and have him listening etc.
Also Joey is extra sensitive to any pressure so I have to make a foam guard thing for his dually to stop too much pressure and Dan is making me a heavy rope instead of using a long line as I won't have to put as much force behind it.
So a good session in knowing where we are heading and what needs to be done but we have a hell of a way to go :( My boy was so brave though and really tried so hard to please and do what was being asked with fear taking control sometimes.

I didn't get any pics of Dan working with him as I was concentrating and forgot my camera was in my pocket:rolleyes: but i did get some pics of the boy just before the session started which I will upload later.

That sounds like a positive start. I know it seems as though you have a way to go but as you say you're now on the right road and sometimes that's half the battle.

Good luck for continuing the lessons learned. Well done Joey!

Thankyou. Even Dan said we have a hell of a way to go as Joey is so unsure of people he doesn't want to let his guard down. So as soon as he was calm and working nicely he'd suddenly flip out again. Poor boy.Ahh well looks like I have a few months of being dragged round the sand school:p:rolleyes:

Sounds like a sensible plan being made between you all, and I'm sure in time it'll have you and Joey as perfect a team as any.

It'll be very frustrating trying to overcome each little thing but just imagine the bond that will be growing with each of those hurdles you finally overcome! Far greater than had he walked up to you with not a care in the world and off we all tootled...!

Look forward to keeping track of Joey and seeing how he improves! =] Good luck - he sounds as though he's found the perfect home to help him through and past his human-inflicted problems.

x

He has been turned away for 2 months already as I was working on him just relaxing. But Dan and Michelle have agreed with me that I should continue not riding him until he is confident and trusting with people on the ground. i'm happy to do that, I'm in no hurry and if it means I end up with a perfect well rounded horse who loves humans and trusts me thats all I could ask for.
:D

YOu are just fantastic to put all the time into Joey.....It struck me when you said that even when he strikes out he turns as so not to make contact. It always knocks me out that these big animals, even though someone has done awful things, they still try not to injure.....just makes you weep for them and want to do horrible things to the people that do them.

good luck hon

Gx

YOu are just fantastic to put all the time into Joey.....It struck me when you said that even when he strikes out he turns as so not to make contact. It always knocks me out that these big animals, even though someone has done awful things, they still try not to injure.....just makes you weep for them and want to do horrible things to the people that do them.

good luck hon

Gx

Everyone else always thinks Joey is horrible and aggressive but I've always stood up for him saying he isn't trying to hurt anyone he just wants someone to understand him and is saying please go away from me I don't trust you right now. Dan agreed with me that there is not a nasty bone in his body. But Dan also showed me (by making certain movements etc) where Joey has been kicked beaten and god knows what else. I felt so bad for my poor baby. But at least we know where we need to go now etc.

newrider.com