Well, that wasn't too bad!

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
It's a lovely calm sunny day after the storm, so time to assess the damage.

The corrugated chicken shed roof blew off on Christmas Day. The chickens are OK though, and at least they have a roofed henhouse inside the shed. We've also had one of the horsebox windows blow in, despite parking it between two buildings for shelter. The garden fence (wire with "wind resistant" netting) has been uprooted by the posts, some of which are now sticking up, javelin-like, in the field. We had a few power cuts, but only 2 lasted more than an hour.

OH and I got various bruises trying to collect the bits of the roof scattered about the field at the height of the storm. We were worried that they could do some serious damage to the house, cars, people or ponies if left to fly about. OH got a nasty graze to his thigh, and I got blown off my feet. Luckily I was deposited in soft (if cold and squelchy) mud, though somehow I managed to damage a finger. It's very swollen and painful, so I'm guessing broken or sprain, but I'm not risking the long trek (including ferry) to Lerwick for an X-ray. It can wait until my local surgery is open tomorrow.

So, all in all, not too bad. A lot of people have fared worse. Harvey and the ponies are all OK. They spent most of the time in the barn, except for Grace, who seems to enjoy being out whatever the weather. They're all out making the most of the sunshine now though, while we tidy and repair what we can before the next lot.

Heck what a rough time for you! Do hope your finger is better soon. I don't know if they do a lot with broken fingers bar strap it to the other whilst it mends?
Ouch for your OH too - sounds like you did well to cope. Not sure how I'd have fared in those circumstances. Least as you say all chickens and pones are ok. Hope you have some calmer weather. We have had 44mph gusts but nothing like you have experienced. We are due more wind tomorrow I have parked both cars down the side of our caravan to help shield it from the gusts. I worry about the stable roof it doesn't half rattle about.

Luckily I was deposited in soft (if cold and squelchy) mud, though somehow I managed to damage a finger. It's very swollen and painful, so I'm guessing broken or sprain, but I'm not risking the long trek (including ferry) to Lerwick for an X-ray. It can wait until my local surgery is open tomorrow.

As T suggests, buddy strap it to the next, and try to keep your hand elevated above your heart as much as is practicable. Might be broken, might be tendon, wont know until it's seen.

You're all having awful weather right now, is there more of the same coming over tomorrow? It must be like having mini hurricanes, clear one day 90 mile hr winds the next and repeat!

Sparky, HONESTLY when the weather is doing what it did on Xmas day the worst thing you can do is go out and try to fix stuff. If you can chuck a concrete block on it from up wind that's all you can do.

You are better off inside safe.

newrider.com