Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Welsh cob sales

Discussion in 'Ringside Chat' started by MrC, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

is anyone going to it?

I’ve always wanted to go so this year I have decided to pop down to wales to experience this exhibition of my favourite horse breed.

I am not going to buy anything. I have already decided this, as long as Kia is still here I can not commit to another horse, however I still want to go and experience the atmosphere and see how it all goes :)

I may buy from the sales one day so it would be good to go and see what it’s all about. I never went to the sales with my dad when I was younger, not in the buyers bits anyways lol :)

Jessey likes this.
  2. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to go but I know I'm terrible when something I like is there in front of me, so I'm not going until I'm looking for another and have the cash in my pocket to do it :p

I'll look forward to reading about your experience there :D

MrC likes this.
  3. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

I went many times back in the day - thoroughly enjoyed it and I really do like the breed and had a few in my time but certainly not a breed I would choose now for my old lady genteel hacking around. Have a great time and look forward to pics please! :)

MrC likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

I couldn't go to any sales as I am one of those people who just wants to take them all home and then there would always be the one that tugs on your heart strings, so I stay clear from any sales, animal shelters etc but enjoy the experience, I hope you have a lovely day .:D

MrC likes this.
  6. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

I know it's in Wales, but where?

MrC likes this.
  7. domane

domane Chatterbox

It's usually in Builth Wells. Try looking at Brightwells Equine.

MrC likes this.
  8. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Oh how exciting! Please take lots of pictures of the lovely fiery beauties :)

newforest and MrC like this.
  9. MrC

I will be taking lots of pics :D

I’m leaving my bank cards in the hotel and only taking enough cash to eat with and that’s my resolve lol ;)

Cortrasna and joellie like this.
  10. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

I've never been but I watched it on a daytime TV show (to see if I could spot YO or her OH who go most years). It wasn't at all what I expected - I imagined sales to be full of pens with dejected looking horses, but it seemed more like a horse show. There were some lovely youngstock being run round the ring, it would be so easy with plenty of money to pick up a thickset flashy weanling or two ...

MrC likes this.
  11. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Why are welsh cobs known for being fiery? I have no experience of them at all. Just curious really and would love to know why people tend to label them as difficult or needing experienced owners. I have a vague memory of a fellow livery owning a young one but I don't recall learning much about her horse, I think it was a finer one? Not particularly chunky set.

MrC likes this.
  12. MrC

They can be both very fiery and opinionated and then again they can be the perfect novice owners horse. I think it depends on the bloodlines and also what they are bought for. The show bloodlines are bred to put on a show, big paces, excited, tail and head up etc

I want something with a bit of fire and character, id feel lost without it, it’s what I like about the breed, the intelligence, the power, the versatility, the paces and the fire :)

Kia totally has The Welsh temperament and character but I trust him with my life, he can’t be a cheeky opinionated old bugger but I know he’s never actually try to hurt me. To others though his cheek is intimidating as I’ve seen him be an arse with other people.

Cortrasna and Trewsers like this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties