Welsh d 3 years old disheartened he may not grow much more

staceyemma1986

Sep 9, 2020
Hello there I have recently purchased a gorgeous welsh d cross
He’s super friendly and adorable and I’m hoping to turn him away to mature and break him next year
He’s just turned three and he’s standing at 13.2 after measuring him today.
I was assured he’d make 14.2
I’m not so sure
Does anyone have any experience of much more growth after 3 with the welsh d type

he is still bum high and growing to do I know but realistically what are the chances he will grow another hand?
im 5ft 3 11 stone and dieting to shift a stone so I’m hoping I can keep this boy long term as I’ve fallen in love with him!

Attachments

• 754AD25E-CAEE-4ECF-BCF2-AC5ACEACC2E3.jpeg
    754AD25E-CAEE-4ECF-BCF2-AC5ACEACC2E3.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 22
Oh wow - he's a bit gorgeous! I'm no expert on welshies - many are on this forum, so you'll get some informed answers, I'd think. However, I got my NF many years ago, at 4, and he grew at least 2 inches in a year. Having said that, at your size, I really don't think you'd be underhorsed with your boy, unless you're not happy generally, with something under 14 odd hands. I'm biased though, 5'2, 9 stone on a very solid 13hh!

Reactions: staceyemma1986
What's he crossed with? He looks fairly substantial already. If he's still quarters high he's going to at the very least level up, and hopefully come up withers high so that should get you a couple more inches. If he was straight D I'd say he's going to keep growing until at least 5 and then fill out, and since he looks to be crossed with something substantial I'd still guess that will be the case. But it really is a guess. Do you know the height of his parents, and ideally further back in his bloodlines?

Does it matter so much that he makes 14.2? I'm 5'5" and weigh more than you. I have a 14.1 Welsh D who is finer framed than yours appears to be and he has no issue with carrying me, usually at a pace that much bigger horses can't easily match. Yes I think we'd look better if he was a bit bigger but most people think that's in my head, and the other week I had to laugh when he was having a bit of a Welsh moment on a byway and a passing walker commented that "he's a big *darling*, be careful love!" :D

They grow well into 5/6 years, though not necessarily upwards. Have you done the string on leg trick to see what that says his final height will be?

Do you find the string test very reliable @Jessey ? I tried it on mine as adults and in Jim's case it was so far out it was laughable, and it wasn't that accurate on Little In either though at least it was within a range.

Yes within an inch or 2, all the adults I’ve tried it on it’s pretty accurate and as growth plates in legs are closed by about 3 they should have full leg height by then and it’s been accurate for all my babies so far, will have to wait and see for Niko ?

Well I’ve just measured Niko, knee to coronet says 15.2, fetlock to elbow says 16hh, but he wasn’t exactly stood square and still on level ground so that could just be different due to moving. His breeder predicted him to make in that range, we’ll see in a couple of years ?

Reactions: Huggy
Op. If you definately wanted 14.2hh then it would have been worth buying something that's standing at 14hh.
The type you have though will fill out and who knows what they will be next year. Possibly 14hh.

Reactions: staceyemma1986
Yes within an inch or 2, all the adults I’ve tried it on it’s pretty accurate and as growth plates in legs are closed by about 3 they should have full leg height by then and it’s been accurate for all my babies so far, will have to wait and see for Niko ?

Little Un was within a couple of inches - just - but then by the time they're 3 I'd have a good guess based on what they stand at now if I now the breeding. Jim it underestimated by more than a hand, and that was taking the measurement when he was fully grown. I guess it does depend on conformation though.

Reactions: Jessey
Hi, he's beautiful. I wouldn'tworry too much about his size as he looks solid enough. Have a look at this picture it's me on our Jonsey. He's 14.2 and I am 5'3" and around 13 stone. I'm glad that you are leaving him to grow and develop properly, he'll be better for it in mind and body. Thinking on his lad who we have is 15.3 so there's plenty of time for him to grow up Sec Ds don't stop until they are around 8 years old

Attachments

• FB_20160620_13_57_19_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20160620_13_57_19_Saved_Picture.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20151201_003.jpg
    WP_20151201_003.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
newrider.com