Welsh Section D peeps - Derwen lines ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I need enlighting ! :)

I take it Derwen is a famous stud, but in my latest horse hunting attempt I'm coming across this mentioned in LOADS of Sec D adverts.

What's so good/famous about the Derwen lines ? What's the typical 'type' from them ? Are they the more lighter type or the old heavier stockier type of Sec D ?

Thanks for any help

Mine must be one of the few that doesn't then! Although he does have Nebo Black Magic along with everyone else! :D

My sister's lad was bred at the Derwen stud, and I remember her showing me his pedigree and thinking he was pretty inbred. He is a nice lad, but taller, finer and longer in the back than the more traditional Ds I've seen.

:eek: Has anyone seen the length of Nebo Black Magics hooves in that picture. Just shows how the times have changed. can't imagine a champions feet looking like that now. Beautiful D though :)

mine doesn't have derwen either. Nebo black magic is in there but mainly Llanarth, was one of the reasons i wanted him! derwen and nebo are mentioned so much because they ARE common in a lot of breeding lines. wouldn't necessarily attract me to a horse though.

I thought Nebo Black Magic was from Derwen lines originally?

Nebo Black Magic is Pentre Eiddwen Comet x Tyngwndwn Mathrafal Lady and neither side feature Derwen. However, Nebo Black Magic is the sire of Derwen Black Magic

Last edited:
I'm one that doesn't have a clue :eek:

Tbh I didn't choose Joy because of her breed or breeding, she was just a nice person and we clicked. I'm not fussed about any of that stuff :p

newrider.com