Went jumping today and feel really.............

cobbychic

Oct 21, 2008
Norfolk
DISAPPOINTED!!!!

I know me and dylan havent been jumping much and we are still learning but we went to a show today to compete in 1ft 8 clear round and it didnt go according to plan at all.

Got there and had no real time to warm up and was very rushed. Had to quickly learn the course. Warmed up quickly and took dylan in and he refused the 1st jump. He then wouldnt canter round and we ended up trotting round and refusing about 5 jumps out of 10! I got him over them in the end but it was hard work and I was shattered by the end. Feel really deflated as we have been practicing at home but only over 2 jumps.

I think we need to set up a course at home and practice keeping in canter throughout the course.

Still on a positive note, my boy jumped a course of 1ft 8 jumps. Our highest course of jumps yet so am a very proud mummy for him doing this. We just need to perfect our technique

Hey, what the hell, you got stops, 5 stops, better than 6!! So you jumped your biggest course ever, well done!:)

I really wouldn't worry about jumping out of canter if it is clear round. My mare went through a real spate of stopping last year - we were eliminated most of the time if doing a competition!

We have stuck at doing clear round, or a 18" class followed by a 2' class, so that she is less spooky the second time round.

There is no shame jumping that size out of a trot - she might be more balanced, and I find there is less chance of my mare stopping out of an active trot.

Don't give up. I nearly did, but have now got her going round with very few stops - although her eyes are out on stalks most of the time, she usually jumps them all first time!

Good luck. ;)

Don't worry, keep at it. Jumping away from home is a much bigger step up than you would imagine until you've done it with a few different horses - then you realise that it is a big deal. Keep using any clear rounds you can get to as 'schooling' and focus on getting and maintaining that slow-tempo but active trot. I would trot all the courses for now - he's probably not ready to canter to a jump yet.

Actually, I can probably illustrate that with a photo. I took my younger horse to a show this weekend, and asked him to trot everything from his active trot. He's jumped a lot away from home in lessons, clinics and little shows. He is cantering jumps in his lessons, but still, most of each lesson is focussed on developing and jumping from his active trot. Here's a picture of the first jump I asked him to canter to :

P8080107.jpg

I only asked him to canter to this one because he'd already jumped it nicely from a trot in the previous round, at 3 inches lower. That's what you're looking for - forward, round, trot to the base of each jump ... don't worry about cantering for now, just give him every chance to look at the jumps and stay in rhythm.

Dont get down hearted!
We all have off days - and some of them are worse than others!

When i first got one of mine i got eliminated at an unaffiliated 2'3 show - now he is ready for Newcomers at BSJA shows.
Robbie2_Towerlands.jpg

This is him - we still have off days though!

Just keep plugging away at home - no work, no gain!
It will all come right in time!

Well Done fo just giving it a go!!! We all have to start somewhere, you got round so be pleased with that for a start it will get better with practice.
What show were you at?

newrider.com