western riding boots?

new2western

Aug 19, 2009
Where can I get a pair of western riding boots? I have thought about ordering on line - I hear Sheplers is good - but can only find sites from USA, has anyone had experience of order from USA? Do you have to pay customs when you get them?:)

There are a fair few retailers now in the UK, brands include Twisted X, Justin, Walker, Ariat, if you're looking for Western boots suitable for riding your best bet would be to visit your nearest Western show to try on boots on site (look at www.wes-uk.com and www.aqha.uk.com for show dates at which retail stands are present), or you could try googling Rhinestone Clothing, Hooves Equestrian, Western Scene, Pullman Western Store, March Horse n Tack, Western Boots and Saddles all of which stock boots of varying makes and sizes. Alternatively, there's ebay, Sheplars, Rods, Arthurs Western Store and other means of ordering in from the US and Europe.

I cannot recommend Ariat highly enough. I have two pairs. A pair of Heritage Lacers which I use for show boots, which have been to hell and back again and always come shiny and new with a bit of polish and leather cleaner. And a pair of ProBabies (NOT FatBabies!) which I use for every day riding. Comfy, durable, very cool looking (mine are the Sunshine/Apple Red ones: http://www.wildheartwestern.com/sto...rn Boot - Sunshine / Apple Red (16762)&area=C ).

ROPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry like with Keket my ropers have been through hell and back..and still my favourite boot to wear. Fatbabies I believe are illegal to ride in (show wise) so make sure you get the probabies not the fatbabies (just to confuse you lol).

If you want actual riding boot I definalty recommend Ropers..I fit mine with the same size as my shoes. If you want something that looks like a "cowboy boot" I say look locally first as alot of cowboy boots can be tight in spots and uncomfy. I don't like to ride in "cow boy boots" made in china (sorry Ariat lovers..I like the colors too but gotta help out my countries economy first) so all my show boots are made in Canada in which I get at Welshes Saddlery (they have a website so google it if you like) or Diablo Boots.

There are a fair few retailers now in the UK, brands include Twisted X, Justin, Walker, Ariat

Twisted X appear much like a "custom" made boot. :) I have a pair of 17" buckaroo boots by Twisted X and I really like them.

Not familiar with Walker but Justin and Ariat both provide some nice boots although they are obviously factory made boots. The boots you wear have a lot to say about "how" you ride. Like all things western, buy the best you can afford. :cool:

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

My OH has a pair of Ariats and hasn't taken his feet out of them since last year !!!!!!!!!!! I have just bought a pair of continentals at the WES show last weekend as there were no other makes there - but they are comfy :) I have difficult feet to fit as I have a high instep - typical ;)

I have 3 pairs of Ariat western boots, 2 ropers (one pair are terrain ropers) and the others are heritage boots.

I love Ariat boots.

I used to have a pair of Laredo boots which were lovely, although too big for me.

If you know what you are looking for you can get bargains off ebay.

Justin boots can be bought from www.westernscene.co.uk

Ariat boots

I know my wife loves her Ariat boots (she has 2 pairs of "cowboy" ones and a pair of Ropers).

I've not been able to find any mens western style ariat's in UK (I know they do them in the US) - anyone know any stockists ?

ROPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry like with Keket my ropers have been through hell and back..and still my favourite boot to wear. Fatbabies I believe are illegal to ride in (show wise) so make sure you get the probabies not the fatbabies (just to confuse you lol).

I'm not sure they're illegal (at least not for smaller shows), but I certainly wouldn't want to ride in Fat Baby boots. They've got too much tread and they're far too wide to ride in, it'd be dangerous.

Keket Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff_up

I'm not sure they're illegal (at least not for smaller shows), but I certainly wouldn't want to ride in Fat Baby boots. They've got too much tread and they're far too wide to ride in, it'd be dangerous.

I think that is why they are illegal..but its one of those rules that is not very regulated so I think its mostly for the bigger shows..

What kind of boots would you recommend for all-day riding and trails? I haven't got a clue about shape of toe, length of leg etc. I am looking at the Sheplers' sale of Justin boots.

Drysdales catalog shows a nice selection of affordable boots. The link takes you to their "womens" western boot page. For everyday boots you may prefer a synthetic sole, rather than leather. I personally like a "buckaroo" style, with a square or round toe, and a "spur stop" heel. (the Tony Lama's are nice) Beware of the "pointed" dress styles boots that are available. They can be rather uncomfortable, as well as ugly. :cool: Follow the links to other styles/products that Drysdales offers. It's a nice catalog.

http://www.drysdales.com/Womens/Boots/Western/products-page1.html

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

newrider.com