Western saddle frustration....Do you ride western??

Some interesting points from both western saddler and levi...:)

I'd like to ask.. if the saddle is fitted without the saddle pad, doesn't adding a thick chunky (like most western pads are) saddle pad make the saddle tight? :confused: How does that work?:confused:

i got mine when i was in arizonia , the wranglers sent us to the proper ranch suppliers, rather then the touristy tack shops, but back to the point , the woman in there just asked about the type of horse , size, high whithers, fat shoulders, etc , and what we were planning on doing , gave her all the info , and she picked out a saddle , took it back to uk , and it fitted perfectly , looked like it had been made espesially for masha ,

Some interesting points from both western saddler and levi...:)

I'd like to ask.. if the saddle is fitted without the saddle pad, doesn't adding a thick chunky (like most western pads are) saddle pad make the saddle tight? :confused: How does that work?:confused:

Good question!

I cannot speak for others but the way I fit saddles is to ensure the gullet is not too narrow and that the bars follow the contours of the back and ribcage very well. Also the shoulder should be free. When all these things are in place the pad should still maintain a good fit between saddle and horse. Of course this is checked and you have to choose your pad carefully as sometimes a really thick pad does not work and you have to go a little thinner and vice versa. :)

I own a Billy Cook Trail and Pleasure saddle and love it.Also have ridden in a Circle Y and found that to be a very nice saddle also.Chavez makes a great western saddle-- if budget permits.Don't know if any of these are available to try where you are.I would not buy a saddle without trying it out on my horse.

Equiflex Saddle Trees have a weight limit, that concerns me, if too much weight is applied it will pinch your Horse, what happens when 85% of the weight limit is applied and you bounce on the Saddle?

There is one Flex Tree that has no weight limit and that is a Ralide. www.ralide.com
Ralide uses a one piece injection molded polyethylene material for a light yet very strong tree.

Here is an example of a 100% US made Western Saddle for 1,200.00 USD, they can be customized in many ways http://www.southerntrails.us/images/RR-W-1737.JPG

Basic US Made Western Saddles can be 529.00 usd http://www.southerntrailssaddle.com/images/T-17-2A.jpg

Or 1,800.00usd for this one http://www.southerntrails.us/images/Dakota601.jpg

The more Silver and the more Intricate the Hand Carvings on the Leather will dictate on the price of a Nice Saddle approaching 3,000.00

The major problem with Western Saddle Trees is there is no Industry Standard in Gullet Sizes or the Angle of the Bars.

Just a few:

Semi-QH
QH
Full-QH
Arab - Two Sizes
TWH - Two Sizes
Gaited - Two Sizes
Draft - Three Sizes

That is why I recommend a Saddle Fitter or using Templates.

Thank you southerntrails... it's all very complicated.. I'm using an english saddle at the moment, just so I can keep riding, I hate it! It's very interesting to hear what everyone on here has to say about the western saddles... hopefully, i'll eventually get sorted... I have a tb, high withers, broad shoulders.. :eek: Not the easiest of horses to fit...

Chickitta, it is not that bad, a couple of tracings and/or templates can figure it out.

One of our Horses is a 17-1 Hand 1300lb TB, 14 YO, never raced. He is very wide, High Withered, he takes a FQH Bar in Western. He uses the Wide Gullet Bars in a Wintec Isabella Dressage.

newrider.com