Western Saddles & Bridles etc!

ponypinkyp

Aug 12, 2004
Worcestershire
Visit site
Hiya everyone!

I really want to buy the whole kit and wondering how you measure up for a western saddle? They only seem to come in 2 sizes?

Also, with the bridles, am I okay using my regular copper snaffle bit?

May sound like a dummy but would rather get some advice 1st.

Hiya everyone!

I really want to buy the whole kit and wondering how you measure up for a western saddle? They only seem to come in 2 sizes?

Also, with the bridles, am I okay using my regular copper snaffle bit?

May sound like a dummy but would rather get some advice 1st.

Erm, where are you finding your western saddles? Really, you need a fitter to look at your horse and help you out. The general rules are:
14" - Teen - Small adult (I'm 5'0" and 112 lbs and I can comfortably ride in an 14")
15" - Average adult woman
16" - Larger adult woman - average adult man
17" - Larger adult man

A coppper snaffle will be fine for riding around. If you plan on showing, you'll need a curb bit if your horse is six or older.

Western saddles come in so many size/shape combinations. To have a saddle fitted properly is not just an issue of choosing a width fitting sadly. You have to consider whether the horse and therefore the saddle is straight backed or dippy backed, whether it has a well-sprung ribcage or not, whether the shoulders are wide or not, how much space there is for the saddle. If the saddle does not follow all the contours closely you will cause your horse pain and discomfort.

A treeless western saddle may be a better option for you? :)

Western saddles come in so many size/shape combinations. To have a saddle fitted properly is not just an issue of choosing a width fitting sadly. You have to consider whether the horse and therefore the saddle is straight backed or dippy backed, whether it has a well-sprung ribcage or not, whether the shoulders are wide or not, how much space there is for the saddle. If the saddle does not follow all the contours closely you will cause your horse pain and discomfort.

A treeless western saddle may be a better option for you? :)

arghhhh where were you a couple of weeks ago when i was getting my Torsion- could have done with some expert advice on fitting!! :D

newrider.com