western saddles.

H & Bailey

Nov 12, 2001
north east england
www.freewebs.com
hi ive always fancied having a go at western and have seen the synthetic western saddles in the robinsons catalogues, they dont have much info on fit?? ie medium wide etc....how do you know if they fit ? i was fancying just a cheap synthetic for hacking around in for fun.. i wouldnt be happy with a leather one(as they seem alot heavier than an english) and my weight added..he is in a 17 1/2 x wide english gp saddle atm.
any info appreciated...:D

hi:)

not sure about the fitting of western saddles......but there's a western saddle fitter on here, i'll try and find her user name anf give you it! lol

You could perhaps buy a western treeless saddle? I think they only weight around 6kg, but they are leather:)

thanks for the link very interesting.. i just got the new robinsons and obviously if i bought something wouldnt know if it fitted till i got it and not sure if they would take it back if not right?same if i got one off e bay , dont know anyone local who even has one to try out!

thanks for the link very interesting.. i just got the new robinsons and obviously if i bought something wouldnt know if it fitted till i got it and not sure if they would take it back if not right?same if i got one off e bay , dont know anyone local who even has one to try out!

treeless saddles don't need as much fitting as treed saddles at all, with regards to the fit, its usually the pommel width and to some extent the length of the saddle, but they can be adjusted to fit MOST horses:) have alook at the barefoot nevada or barefoot arizona

http://www.horseandharmony.co.uk/sh...ducts_id=430&zenid=vpfjhv2vn08oaqhp6j61lq1em2 - arizona

http://www.horseandharmony.co.uk/sh...oducts_id=22&zenid=vpfjhv2vn08oaqhp6j61lq1em2 - nevada

:) let me know what you think:)

ETA the western saddler's user name i was goingto give you is western-saddler

Last edited:
happy highlande has a treeless - and in the process of getting that we tried a friend's saddle on everything, and then when she got hers, tried that on everything.

And they rode very differently on each horse.

These were english styles - but it is basically the same saddle from what I can see.

Western saddles are as tricky to fit properly as english - with the downside that we have less choice over here :(

Hi :)

Thanks Shian :)

Treeless saddles do need some degree of fitting, but more importantly IMO they should be pressure tested to ensure even weight distribution. So if you are nowhere near a good fitter I would recommend you buy or hire a pressure testing pad and test everything you put on your horse - I am sure the results will be interesting :)

newrider.com