Western Saddles

avrillo

Aug 4, 2005
Slovenia
I'm thinking about buying a western saddle for my Warmblood. I am living in very mountainous region and feel the western type saddle would be safer and more comfortable for the long rides. Does anyone have any recommendations on western saddle makes. I would be interested in your suggestions. Thanks:)

I've been doing a little research on western saddles recently, as I'm thinking of buying one, and as most people here trail ride, or hack out, in a western saddle I've ridden in quite a few.:) I'm no expert by a long shot, but I'm happy to share what little I've learned.

I would not advise buying a synthetic. I bought an Abetta endurance saddle for my American Paint Horse several years ago. The advantages are they are lightweight and easy to clean - however the trees tend to be narrower, which is a big disadvantage with chunkier horses, like my paint and I suspect your WB. And one of our resident saddle-fitters here says the synthetic tree is far more likely to warp than a wooden one.

Another thing to watch out for is the tendency of western saddles to place one's feet too far forward. I've actually only ridden in one or two that don't do this - a Crates and a National Bridle Shop. I'll look up the links to their websites and post them for you.

I would think for a WB you'd need full Quarter Horse or Gaited Horse bars, but I'm only guessing here as I'm not terribly familiar with the shape of a WB. How long-backed are WB's? Length is another thing to watch out for in a western saddle - too long and it can interfere with the movement of the hips and cause lower back soreness.

Western saddles are trickier to fit than english ones, unfortunately, as an english saddle can be re-flocked but a western cannot - it either fits or you buy a new one.:( They are however designed for long periods in the saddle over challenging terrain, and the large tree and heavy skirts help to spread the rider's weight over a larger surface area and are, IMO, more comfortable for the horse, providing the saddle is fitted correctly. They aren't designed for jumping, though - for either horse or human.; )

So my advice would be to contact a saddle-fitter and enlist his/her help.:)

Last edited:
The best money you can spend, is to trailer your horse to where you will be buying the saddle Western saddles are almost like finger prints..having said that and having done that, I now have a very nice circle Y reining saddle that doesn't fit my horse anymore because he is now in much better shape then when i had him fitted.. sigh!

Links

Here's the link to the Crates website. They don't appear to ship directly to the consumer, but will help you to find a dealer who would handle your order. They are expensive - but a cheap western saddle can wreak havoc with your horse's back, so plan to spend around $1,000 USD - sorry don't know what that would be in your currency.

http://www.cratesleather.com/

Here's the link to the saddles page at National Bridle Shop. You'll need to select a sub-category: western, obviously, but also the tennessean and pleasure saddle categories have western type saddles listed in them. They can be contacted by email re international shipping.
http://www.nationalbridle.com/Shopp...og_name=nationalbridle&category_name=1&page=1

Last edited:
Thanks Peace & Shadowlark, I figured a high gaited saddle would best suit my WB as she has high withers. I will try to look out for a secondhand one though as they seem quite expensive new. I ordered my english saddle from UK and it fits a treat but I think a western one is going to be trickier. ideally I need someone to come to the stable with half a dozen or so to test out.....

nice western saddles will probably be very expensive where you are... but probably worth it. I personally love Circle Y. I would suggest taking your horse to a saddle fitter to figure out size, and then possibly going on ebay...

newrider.com