Western v English Saddles

J

joy70

how much heavier are the western saddles compared to english leather saddles & would the pony notice a difference between the two

this probly sounds like a real daft question

my boy neck reins and turns etc, very well in english tack and I wouldn't mind having a go at riding him western, but im not sure if he would cope with the extra weight of a western saddle as well as me!

Some Wesern saddles like mine, (a roping saddle) are extrememly heavy because of all the leather and a steel reenforced horn. But you can get synthetic Western saddles, like a Wintec or an Abetta that might actually be lighter than your English saddle. If you eliminate the weight difference as much as possible, than the only other real change he might notice is how the weight is distributed on his back. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll both enjoy it! :)

well, my horse rides english and western and he enjoys both..im sure your pony would too:)..you can et many different weights of western saddles..mine probably weighs 20pounds..but yuo can get ones that are meade of leather and cloth which are about the weight of and english saddle:)

here is a picture i found of a light weight abetta western saddle, notice how part is a light weight cloth

Attachments

• saddle pict.jpg
    saddle pict.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 111
wow the Abetta saddles look nice, and light too. The only reason i don't want a regular leather one is cause at 10stone adding a 40lb saddle to my boy may cause some problems, hes fine with his english leather saddle.

Is there anyone in the uk that stocks/sells these? and are they any different to fit to English?

My saddle weighs about 25-30lbs. It's a Circle Y Cordura, completely cordura and fake suede with leather touches here and there. Here's a photo of my mare wearing it. I'm 100% satisfied with this saddle :) It's wonderful.

sugarmay14.jpg

newrider.com