What a difference a day makes.... From Lovely Ponies to ARGHHH Ponies!!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
So today was an ODE training day, aimed at people who are new to eventing, or aiming to step up a level. The girls were in a group of 3 kids all aiming for their first 70/80 this year.

Dressage was fine for both. Then onto the show-jumping. Oscar was a star but, for some reason Max was fine for half an hour but then got very nappy, and Twin 1 got very scared, so froze and just hung onto his mouth and would not use her legs. So it all just got worse and worse ending with him backing, spinning and mini-rearing and her sobbing and refusing to carry on. Oh dear.

So down to just 2 of them by the x-c phase......

Oscar was very over-excited but twin 2 rode him very well and he jumped everything. I was so proud of them both. Then at the end they were linking several jumps including water, steps up and down, rails and finishing over a house. They set off and it all looked fine then there was the heart stopping moment of seeing Oscar flying back down the course at 100mph bucking all the way with no sign of Twin 2. I ran up the course to see her flat out immobile on the grass. He had actually jumped everything but bucked her off as she was trying to pull up at the end. Luckily she was fine. Arrrgghh PONIES. I can't deal with the worry sometimes. I feel sick remembering that ever-lasting seeming run to her on the ground.

Both girls are in good spirits though. We live to fight another day.

Pics of the day before it went pear shaped. And a video clip of his general behaviour through the course when having to wait for his turn, before his acrobatic grand finale. Good thing she loves him. I don't much at times......
Screenshot_20170423-190326.png Screenshot_20170423-190136.png Screenshot_20170423-190236.png Screenshot_20170423-190222.png

Last edited:
Did she get eliminated? I suppose she probably did but what a shame after he'd jumped everything! Ponies/horses, more trouble than they're worth, I tell you! ;)

Did she get eliminated? I suppose she probably did but what a shame after he'd jumped everything! Ponies/horses, more trouble than they're worth, I tell you! ;)

It was a training day not a comp. I love watching them ride till it goes wrong. Then it's just horrible!

He was having so much fun he didn't want to stop! Little tyke.

She is going to be such a rider, I know it kills you now but I am envious of her future already!

Reactions: KP nut
Well, Oscar certainly looks pretty fresh! But you said he jumped well, and it certainly looks that way from the photos, so I would hardly describe him as "naughty". He's clearly a pony who loves his job, and yes XC can be quite exciting, plus he's been on a break as well, so you'd kind of expect a few high jinx in this situation. And if Max was in a similar mood and was just being pulled in the mouth constantly then it's no great surprise he got wound up. He's a lot of pony for a novice child and learning to deal with a bit of napping etc is going to be part of the learning curve. I appreciate the girls didn't get an easy ride, and I sympathise with them as I'm sure they were disappointed with how things went, but it really irks me to read comments about "bad" and "naughty" ponies just because things didn't go smoothly. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I feel like the poor boys need to be defended here!

Max wasn't naughty and Izzy knows that. He was uncertain in an unfamiliar environment so became nappy and she did not ride well. I don't know why as he has napped before and she has been ok. But the instructor was quite shouty which did not suit her.

OSCAR on the other hand I think was naughty to buck her off at the end. Not the excitement on the video, that was just typical Oscarish behaviour. But to put his head right down and throw her was a little unnecessary!

He was in a snaffle so I think he needs a stronger bit xc so she can sit back and get his head up immediately on landing. Also she needed to slip the reins for the drop fence, steps and water so had too long a rein by the end I think. Plus she forgot her gloves so had blistered hands. Lessons learnt.

And yes if she stays confident he will help her riding no end!

We love these ponies and thibk thry are fabulous and and know they are just a bit young/welsh!!!! It.is just stressful to watch sometimes!

Reactions: GaryB
Screenshot_20170424-103200.png
I wouldnt exactly call napping and broncing well behaved, so I do think naughty is appropriate. I'm not saying there isn't reason but its still not good behaviour. I don't mean it in some terribly derogatory or offensive way, and its no reflection on the ponies overall character, it was just one of those days.

Reactions: KP nut
I actually think Oscar is fab, he's my favourite out of all yours. Look fab on jumping pics, twin 2's position is improving. Bit of high jinks will teach her to ride forward and keep his head up after a fence, if your nerves can take it. Glad it's not knocked her confidence and she's ok. They both sound a bit fresh coming back into work, I'm sure they'll settle down again.

Is twin 1 lacking a bit of confidence after the break? Understandable really. When I'm in group clinics I never stand and wait closely to everyone else, I stand a little apart and will circle walk around keep their attention on me. I do this whatever horse I'm riding as think standing by the others each time they've had their go can make them a bit nappy.

Horses are a real leveller one day you can be jumping everything the next flat on the floor. It's a sport that teaches children a lot.

Reactions: squidsin and JMR77
Interesting the discussion about the use of the word naughty. I suppose I would call him "naughty" if it was a regular thing. I'd be tempted to put yesterday down to a bit of OTT spring fever. I guess it really depends on how they both behave next time.

Reactions: JMR77
Naughty behaviour to me is often short hand for undesirable behaviour. The next question is why are they behaving that way. Oscar is often 'naughty' because he gets excited, hates wobbly riders so chucks you off if you get unbalanced on him and makes his own decisions on speed, direction and destination unless you are clear with him. None of that means he is malicious or bad. You just have to ride him well to get desired behaviour from him. He wont look after you. Max is much more easy going but lacks confidence so napping is his main undesirable behaviour. Though he got so much better pre strangles so I am sure both his and Izzy's confidence will return soon.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh my this is much like my daughter and her pony. He is also a Welsh and when he is gd he is amazing but we've had a gd 6-8 mths where he was just horrid and knocked all her confidence. With the advice of her riding instructor we pulled her our of evrything PC, group work etc and stripped it right bk to basics with 1-1 lessons. It took her weeks before she'd even canter him or attempt a jump....he was constantly pulling reins from her then he wud drop his head tank round the sand school, buck and just b generally horrible, he was constantly dumping her if he cud! But she wud not give up or consider selling him....she loves that pony no matter what, me however altho I love him as he has ground manners to die for i cud of killed him on more than 1 occasion. After mths of hard work and pure determination on my daughters part and a great riding instructor she now has a complete handle on him, has gained her confidence bk and is now riding like a pro! He is not an easy pony, is always testing her but has made her a rider! He's amazing at jumping which is what me daughter loves and we're now ready to move on to try xc....which is gonna give me heartattacks once again but now she is able to control him and doesn't allow him to get away with his naughty behaviour I feel less nerous about it all....oh I'm sure he's gonna continue to try it on cause that's just the cheeky Welsh he is but she'll never part with him. So I can completely sympathie with you on the whole naughty pony post. I hope ur daughters continue to have confidence and show those ponies whose boss.

My daughter at her 1st show jumping competition after regaining her confidence....1st in the 2ft class and 5th in 2ft3
FB_IMG_1492188352776.jpg
20170414_124243.jpg
Working Hunter training
FB_IMG_1492413774952.jpg
FB_IMG_1492413756722.jpg
Very proud of her achievements as must b u of ur daughters :)x

@KP nut I love seeing the photos of your daughter's and their ponies. Fab ponies and fab riders! Quite envious that I don't get to jump like that these days lol Glad they are both ok and in good spirits! :-D xx

Oscar is often 'naughty' because he gets excited,

Toffee does this. He threw a buck in the field last week (not a huge one but generous enough that I ended being thrown onto the from of the saddle) and tried to take off with me because he was so over excited at being in a new place. I really struggled to stop him cantering when I just wanted a trot and he was a bit all over the place for the most part lol I don't consider that naughty as such, I put it down to him reacting to something new. He's since calmed down in that particular field but I don't doubt for a second that I'd get a repeat performance if we went somewhere new to start with.

Reactions: JMR77
newrider.com