What a morning!!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I had just finished a night shift and came down to ride sox. It was 08:00 this morning. Sox was in his stable loose.
Put his bridle on, put his saddle on which was on my stable door then his hi viz sheet on ,also on his stable door.

Was right behind him as í straighten up how sheet. When he suddenly shoots back into me. I see his rein is looped around his left fetlock but as soon as i see it.
Sox sets off around the stable in a blind panic! Spinning very quickly,head has high as he could get it. I tried to grab him but he was too scared. I now see the reins are around his elbow! plus continuing to spin and then a few times backed quickly right up to me stunting me before spinning around again. At one point i honestly thought he would either knock me over or back up backwards out of his stable! When he backed into me the second time i had.to leave the stable.
All the way through i was talking to him ok at the start it was soft then went to panicking then back to soft. But he wasnt listening. I remeber been outside the stable talking to him ' sox youre alright your alright ' as he was continuing to spin around. After what seemed like a life time he calmed or tired and stood and lowered his head enough for me to shoot in whip how bridle off and sort out his reins. Bless him he was breathing so heavily ,almost shaking and i was the other way around mainly! Untacked him and put a fleece on 5 ciggs later and 60 mins he is fine and i have calmed down

Oh poor Sox and you, very scary. I remember something similar happening to Joe and Mr T many years ago with his headcollar. It's a shame because they sometimes do panic and we can't help them. Bet you had jelly legs after that - lol not surprised you needed a few smokes!!!

I'm glad you're both ok, and you were right to get out of the stable - you getting hurt won't help anything. Sometimes they do the most stupid things. Before you ride again just check your reins carefully to be sure he hasn't damaged them, you don't want them breaking when you ride x

That's my biggest fear I think, being trapped in the stable with a panicked horse. Hope you're ok, and am sure Sox will get over it. These things happen, and most of the time everyone comes out of it ok. You were probably overtired after your shift and not completely on the ball.

Thank you. I checked him over last night and he has a egg on his bum near his tail were he went into the wall :(
Plodded in the school in walk for 20 mins he seems a little off but.most.likely sore.
Tacking him up was interesting! Tied him on the yard saddle and hi viz on first. I put the reins over his head but he starting to back up and dance so i unclipped him and.allowed him to walk so i put his bridle on in the middle of the yard before walking around a few times

If it's the reins he's fretting about then for the next few times you tack up it might be worth taking the reins off to put his bridle on and then putting them back on afterwards, just until he's relaxed about it again. He'll get over it though x

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com