What are these bumps under her saddle?

Kira657

Jul 18, 2005
North Cornwall
My horse has come up in bumps under the back left hand side of her saddle, i'm having her saddle checked on thursday to see if thats the cause, any other ideas of what they could be? Theyre not itchy for her, they're quite hard aswell, there's a little cluster of about 4 bumps, heat bumps maybe?im giving her this week off too because she's lost a shoe and maybe they'll go down a bit, any ideas greatly appreciated :D . By the way, I sponge her off religiously after a ride! If they don't get any better i'll get the vet to take a look.

No, I don't feed her through the summer, she lives out 24/7 on grass.I haven't used anything on her, no ointment, fly spray etc for months.She's only had her saddle for about 4 months, it's a brand new synthetic Thorowgood one with FISH inserts, this is looking to be the most likely cause at the moment, but it's strange how they've only just come up.

No they don't flake off, if you scratch at them you get just a little bit of flakiness but barely anything, trying to describe them as best as possible.Some have come and gone and been replaced by different bumps!

Jake used to get these, had the saddle checked - all OK there. Vet had a look and suggested as he gets quite sweaty under his saddle they may be a sweat reaction on his sensitive skin. We always washed him down anyway but now use a mild diluted hibiscrub wash and keep numnahs very clean. Much better and very rarely do we get these now.

Hmm that could be it as definitely came up when the weather was hot and his polypad needs a good wash :eek:

Will swap to his sheepskin numnah for a bit and see if that helps as it aborbs the sweat really well, it's just a pain to wash as it's pure sheepskin :rolleyes:

Bit strange though as he has some on his flanks as well?

its strange they are only on the left hand side as well - you would have thought they would have been on both sides if it is the saddle. unless it's something drastic like a twisted/broken tree.

I actually noticed a few of these on Jacob the other day, but his seem to be a bit smaller (a little bigger than the smiley faces to the right of this box I'm typing in!). Have been keeping an eye on them before panicking and calling the vet out :D but will check again tonight as he's now rugged up day and night while he's out, so if it's a fly reaction, they might have started to go.

He gets bathed with hibiscrub anyway, so maybe a bath would help (if we get a spate of warm weather). If it doesn't go, I may need to wash him as his numnah has just gone in the wash, but he's been really sweaty recently - so might be what Coppertopcathy suggested. But when it's dingy weather like this, what should I do? I always use the sweat scraper to take off the worst of the wet, then walk him around until he's bone dry but that was in the hot weather we had until last week. Should he be rugged and thatched if he's still a bit damp and has to be turned out? Or should I avoid washing him in this sort of weather?

Well had the vet out yesterday (she was coming to do jabs anyway) and the saddle man too, Saddle man said my saddle wasn't fitting perfectly but he didn't think that was why they had come up, vet agreed with him, she seemed to think that they were just heat bumps where she's getting hot and sweaty under the saddle, nothing to worry about.They've nearly gone down now anyway, how typical is that, you want to show someone your problem and by the rime they arrive it's almost cleared up!Ended up buying a brand new saddle ( won't say what it cost but my bank account took a bit of a battering!)but it is so gorgeous, fits both her and me perfectly! Thanks for all the advise anyway guys :D

newrider.com