what are you all feeding your Good Do-er's?

My mum has worked out in kg the amount we feed I can't remember how much it is! My horses both are clipped out and live out with the option to come in if they want. They are usually in at wekendsi f competing and in if the weather is really bad. I feel it is fairer to give them a choice rather than shut them in all night!

Around this time I start to replace a scoop of coursemix with equilbra. My horses have ad lib hay/ haylege or just haylege.

Last edited:
Rhi is a very good doer she only has to look at the grass to put on weight. She is getting :

1/4 scoop Allan and Paige Slim and Healthy

Handful of Ready Grass

Carrots

Scoop of Garlic, limestone, mint and two scoops of Itch Free.

She only gets a couple of carrots on a morning.

Good Doers

I'm feeding Solo on Happy Hoof and a minimal amount of hay at the moment. He's quite fat at the moment and as the weather is still quite warm the fields have a lot of grass in them. Although the goodness is not up to much, the grass is still richer than he'd find on his native Exmoor. Hopefully, he wont end up with Laminitis in the winter. He had a scare in the spring but I spotted it early and took immediate action. Grass is always a worry for us folk with native ponies.

We are just changing our to their winter diets, as can only work them at weekends due to the winter dark nights and mornings.

They are getting a scoop of Dengie Hi-Fi, small scoop of unmolassed beet, 1/2 dose of top spec.com, 25mls of cod liver oil + a few sliced carrots.

Hay is fed overnight in small holed nets weighing no more than 5kg.

Charlie has actually managed to loose weight.

All are unclipped, but wear summer turnout if very wet, mainly so I don't have to spend valuable riding time grooming for hours.

They are now out for 6-8 hours each day and in at night as we are on clay and the field is already turning to mush and is most treachourous, thank goodnes our boys are well behaved and we have no leading problems otherwise we would be dragged in the mud!!

Got a fell and a 15.3 ID both fed on spillers showing chaff with a splash of oil twice a day out all day with shelter in at night only because of wet fields also have carrots and apples when got them also crusts of bread as no one likes them ! fell is to fat as not been in work due to tendon injury (about to change soon ) ID Ridden as often as i can 3/4 times a week ( got a little girl so ) any one got any spare time ? cant imagine what its like to have to feed huge quantys of food or cost !!! both look very well coats shine and plenty of energy . Just been given a 3 yr welsh A whos just getting handful of sh chaff & oil + carrots etc when the snow comes give sugar beet
and ad lib hay plus bedded on barley straw.
Have loads of grass especally in summer so they get no feed
also have mineral licks in the field

H.C. also lives on fresh air! But I am feeling a bit mean having read all these replies!

Currently he gets whatever grazing he can pick from the very sparse bit that is left in the 'winter turnout' paddock and two to three handfulls of readigrass IF he has done any work- so weekends only at the moment unless I manage to skive off uni early enough!!:D

He will start to get a bale of hay in the field twice a day from next weekend, which he will have to share with two other 15hh cobs, two shetlands, and two other 'fresh air' ponies. Once the cold weather starts he will get his readigrass daily with sugarbeet added when it gets really cold.

Finally, if he is in (a very rare occurence!) he gets two small holed small size haynets twice a day and his readigrass if I'm feeling like spoiling him!

Oh, and he gets a vit and min sup and garlic in his feed whenever he gets it! Except that I bought a different supplement this year and he doesn't like it- for the first time ever he actually turned his nose up at his feed the other day and refused to eat it!! :eek:

Maybe I had better start giving him more... what so you guys think?! (He is rugged and not clipped by the way!)

H.C.'s Mum!

Hairy Cob - if he's keeping his weight and condition, then stick towhat you are doing. Whilst it's helpful to know what others are doing, we have to remember that horses are individuals and what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

HC, It's been commented that I change my horses' feeding with the weather--of course I do! If it gets colder and they start to look like they're losing a bit, then I up 'em; if they start getting chubby due to grass or less cold, then I cut them back a bit. It's all based on how the individual horse deals with it.

Also, I find that it is much easier to maintain weight then to put it back on (this may be a TB thing, but I suspect it's more general). At one point I was feeding my horses 3 scoops a feeding. Now they get 1 AM and 1.5 PM. Big difference! I try very hard to make sure they stay perhaps a little chubby, and change things about quickly if they start to drop in weight.

If you're conscientious and keep an eye on your baby, you'll see if he starts to need more :)

newrider.com