What are your best dressage tips?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
This weekend, Ben and I are returning to the world of dressage. We have 2 competitions - one early on Saturday (in the pouring rain) and one later on Sunday afternoon. I never do well at dressage - I get far too tense and ride like an idiot. My aim for both competitions is not to come last. I have come last in practically every test I have ridden, so this is a challenge for me! Ben goes lovely at home in our arena, but as soon I am feel under pressure I get very nervous and am full of tension.

So what are your top tips for test riding? How can I relax so I can do a half decent test?

Do you have a caller? If you dont maybe get one and you can concentrate on feeling ben not what your supposed to be doing next.

I find that callers put me off. I am fine remembering where to go, I just ride badly in the tests! I'm also doing the Saturday one completely on my own. It's the first time I have taken Ben to a competition all alone - we have done clinics/lessons alone but that's different because you have an instructor there. I'm hoping that being alone will help me focus more. I hate that feeling of being watched, and even if it's just a friend watching me in the warm up and test, it still makes me feel self conscious. I am hoping that if I go all alone, I won't feel so much pressure. We will see....

I've only done a few myself but my tip would be to slow things down. I always think I'm riding way too slow and end up rushing and doing the test at warp speed (which leads to her running on the forehand) by accident. Also, my RI always says to have the 'battles' in the warmup (think about your warmup routine as well, nothing worse than ending up sort of pottering about in the warmup without any purpose) and relax things in the ring as it makes for a much nicer picture.

I've only done a few myself but my tip would be to slow things down. I always think I'm riding way too slow and end up rushing and doing the test at warp speed (which leads to her running on the forehand) by accident. Also, my RI always says to have the 'battles' in the warmup (think about your warmup routine as well, nothing worse than ending up sort of pottering about in the warmup without any purpose) and relax things in the ring as it makes for a much nicer picture.

I end up rushing Ben as well because I always worry that we will be marked down for being too slow. This means that I push him out of his natural rhythm and i make him look lazy because my legs flap like a pony club child. I have an inability to sit still when under pressure, I become very heavy in my hand and Ben goes badly because he wonders why I am riding like an idiot!

We have a good warm up plan. The warm up always goes really well, but it just all falls apart in the actual test.

Just pretend you are at home! Don't put pressure on yourself. I know it is simple to say and not quite so easy to do. I tend to put all my concentration on preparing for the next move and so I just don't notice anyone standing at the side or even the judge!

I always, always try to be accurate. I generally picture myself a few strides ahead of where I really am (the future me!) performing the moves as I'm meant to. I have to say I don't really focus on my riding as such (nothing like thinking my legs are flapping or I need to pick my hands up etc) but more on the horse, I try to aim for soft and forward (not fast/quick/rushed but just willing and moving with purpose). The pony I ride rushes anyway so I constantly have in my head to think slower and steady. With Rubic I had to ask for the power but contain it more with my hand so she wouldn't rush instead. Remember the prelim tests are usually 4-5min long (it does usually give you a guide on the test sheet as to how long it should take), that is ages so don't feel you need to push him on to "make the time" or get it over and done with. You will NOT be marked down for being too slow. Unless you walked the whole thing I honestly don't think that would be possible! I find that 4/5 minutes feels like 1!

I sometimes use imagery in my head to calm myself down and picturing things going well is part of that but pick something that calms you down and helps you relax, picture a nice sunny beach with calming waves or lying in bed reading a book. I'm more of a "scientific thinker" though so for me concentrating on the next move or (or turn/line/jump when I'm jumping) is enough to stop my mind even thinking of panicking! I try to go through things logically in my head. For example; I might think "the next move is a 20m circle at B so a little half halt and I need to start asking for bend now, aim for "D", have we got the right bend, look where I'm going, aim for "E", do I have to ask for a little more energy, aim for "G", look where I'm going, we are going to be back at the track soon, aiming for "B" so I better think about a half halt so we don't go racing off down the side, thinking straight" blah, blah, blah. It is honestly a little running commentary of what I should be doing in my head. If something is going wrong don't panic just work out what to do to correct it - problem then solution. Don't let things spiral into negativity. For example (this usually happens when I ask for canter and she rushes off) "we are rushing, I need to steady her with a half halt but keep my leg on so she doesn't break" NOT "Gah, we're off, panic, what do I do? STOP! Ooopps, now we have over-excited welshie trot, ask for canter again, b*gger wrong leg, please stop tanking down the long side, oh well at least we are back to trot soon, that was a disaster". You just need to keep breathing!

That might seem like a bit of a ramble, that's usually how my head feels when I'm at dressage! I have to say though, I don't panic anymore and I do think that is partly to do with the fact that I just keep going out. The more you do it the less panicked you will feel!

Last edited:
Since I am not capable of riding well enough to get Ziggy to achieve any form of collection, the only way we get any points at all is to be accurate. So I concentrate hard on changing pace at the exactly right spot. In between that I just try to maintain a steady rhythm.

I echo what Rubic said about relaxing and not rushing, and remember that the accuracy marks are the easy ones!

Good luck - I do hope you enjoy it. I think Ben must have lovely paces, give him time to show himself off :wink:

Change your aim: instead of worrying about coming last (places are meaningless really - they depend on the other people, nothing to do with how you ride), make your aim to be as relaxed as possible. Oh, and like Rubic says - keep breathing.

couple more things!

- do not mistake someone's mobile for the starting bell

- don't let your pony trample the white boards

- when finished with saluting, don't just do a 180 degree turn on a sixpence and leg it out of the ring

of course i do not speak from experience ... :redface:

No tips from me just wanted to say good luck and most importantly enjoy it.

Rubic, your commentary reminds me of me! lol I do this all the time at home, especially this bit, :giggle:

"For example (this usually happens when I ask for canter and she rushes off) "we are rushing, I need to steady her with a half halt but keep my leg on so she doesn't break" NOT "Gah, we're off, panic, what do I do? STOP! Ooopps, now we have over-excited welshie trot, ask for canter again, b*gger wrong leg, please stop tanking down the long side, oh well at least we are back to trot soon, that was a disaster"

i have a non-dressage cob, who goes round with her head in the air (well used to, now she is offering more outline - thats if she's not distracted!).....i manage to often win Walk/trot classes (obviously it does depend who i am up against of course!)

my best tip told to me is - be accurate! if it says walk at C, then Walk at C, not before or after! Make sure your 20m circles are 20m and you return to the track on those sections of the circle. Obviously try to get the best out of Ben during the test but accuracy is paramount.

good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. Had a run through of my test this evening and Ben was amazing, I will be thrilled if he goes like that tomorrow.

Lorry is all packed so all I need is to put Ben in it and for the forecast to get rid of the prediction for rain and bring sunshine instead!

Thanks for all the advice. Had a run through of my test this evening and Ben was amazing, I will be thrilled if he goes like that tomorrow.

Lorry is all packed so all I need is to put Ben in it and for the forecast to get rid of the prediction for rain and bring sunshine instead!

Good luck!!!! :biggrin: I'm sure you will do well. Keep that run through of the test in your head tomorrow, you know you can both do it:wink:

We have loads of rain here too which is such a shame as it is one of the local shows tomorrow. Miserable weather!

Ben and I have a fantastic morning at the dressage. Everyone was so nice and friendly, the weather stayed dry and I was so pleased with how he went. Our warm up was great and I came out of the test and told everyone that it was the best that we had ever ridden.

However, we got a dreadful score (56%) and the judge put us in last place by 7 points. I can't help but be a little disappointed but I'm not going to dwell on it. Someone asked to buy him (3rd person this month!) and Ben was showered in compliments from everyone we spoke to. After answering questions and chatting about him for a while someone else told me how lucky I was to own a horse like him and that he was like gold dust. Someone else (who I think was a RI) said that she had 2 clients who have been searching for a horse like him for ages but they can't find one. It's so lovely to have complete strangers say such lovely things about him. We went home with very big heads!

I'm really pleased you were happy with how it went, what comments were you given on your test sheet?

At our last riding club show the judge gave really harsh scores, it really deflated some of the riders and put them off attending again!

newrider.com